"And selling props became my full time gig," Greg finished. "Gothic stuff being my speciality. The internet and local craft shows have been very kind to me."

"He still has contacts in the movie industry who call him for the occasional project," Darlene said.

Clara felt that her legs had begun to fall asleep. She took the opportunity to stand, getting a closer look at Greg's art on the walls. "That's a real success story for an artist," she said.

She took a quick look over her shoulder and saw Darlene watching her closely. "We consider ourselves to be very fortunate," Darlene said.

Clara stopped in front of a collage of Breach Point Castle memorabilia. She studied a worn bumper sticker that read, "I Lost My Head at Breach Point Castle" in pointy lettering. An illustration of a grim reaper with a scythe sat next to the text.

"Told you we had a lot of stuff from the Castle," Greg said.

Clara nodded. "I believe it."

"That's why I asked you to come here," he said. "I knew you'd appreciate seeing the collection."

"Our whole group was scattered all over the country for more than a decade. Corine was modeling and acting in California, Genevieve was a costumer on Broadway, Howie worked all over the world as a photojournalist..."

A pile of Greg's business cards sat on a small credenza below the Castle collage. Next to the cards lay stack of colorful concert flyers. Clara picked up the top one and looked it over. A high-contrast band photo bled into a logo that declared "The Caretakers". She took in the band members' faces, only recognizing one of them – the sternest one – after it was too late to put the flyer down without being noticed.

"Kevin's band," Greg said. "That's what he was doing while we were in California – touring the country. Now he's a local rocker again."

"Ah," Clara said. The flyer promoted a show tomorrow at a local club named Dunleavy's. She remembered seeing the place north on the island.

"He had a really rough time after the fire," Darlene said. "More than the rest of us."

Greg stood up and walked toward Clara. "You probably heard what happened to his cousin Kenny," he said.

Clara nodded. "I did."

"Out of our group, Kevin was the closest to Eric," Darlene said. Clara saw that she was slowly walking over as well. "So he had a lot to deal with, all at once."

Greg got even closer. "And he dealt with it the best way – by rocking out!" he said with a laugh. "But a few years back, his parents started having some health issues. They weren't able to live by themselves, so Kev moved back here to help them out. Opened the garden store and kept the band going, too."

Clara nodded again. Greg and Darlene almost seemed to be giving a performance now. There was a rehearsed element to their conversation.

"I know Kev got... kind of intense with you," Greg said. "People can be cold, even in your hometown. He's just a very guarded person."

"I understand," Clara said. She laid the flyer down and looked toward the front door.

"There were all kinds of rumors floating around after the fire," Darlene said. "The locals made up stories about what happened, and why it happened."

"Eric was a beautiful person," Greg said, his voice quieting. "But people were saying that Carlo started the fire himself for the insurance money. They were saying that we... all of us..."

He slammed his fist on the credenza, knocking the flyers and cards to the floor. Clara's mouth dropped open.

Darlene reached for her husband. "Honey..."

She held onto Greg. He laid his head on her, breathing heavily.

Clara shuffled around the couple and made her way toward the door, stepping as quietly as she could. "Well," she said when an exit seemed within reach, "I appreciate you having me over--"

Darlene's hand shot out and landed on Clara's shoulder. It was more of a grab than a casual touch.

"Please, don't leave yet," Darlene said.

Greg looked up. "I'm sorry," he said, stepping away from Darlene. "I just get worked up too, thinking about... about all of that..."

"I can understand that," Clara said. "So thank you for the hospitality--"

Greg interrupted again. "I didn't mean to freak you out. Please don't--"

"No, no," Clara said. "I'm fine. But I do need to get back to my research." She could feel her voice waver as she pulled the front door open.

"Of course," Darlene said. "We'll find you again."

"Yeah," Greg said. "I'm sure we'll see you around. Catch you later, Clara."

Clara faked a smile as she rushed out. She could feel Greg and Darlene watching her as she ran down the front path to the sidewalk.

------------------

Thanks for reading Chapter 26! If you enjoyed it, please consider voting or leaving a comment – I respond to every one.

Buy Breach Point as a paperback or eBook:

http://amzn.to/1JTSbjj

The published version contains material not found in the Wattpad version - an epilogue, prologue, concept art, and other "behind the story" elements.

- Steve