Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Week One

Friday

            I snapped out of the daze that Griffin somehow held me in when a familiar mop of copper colored hair came into view. Harley blocked the gaze that was piercing into me, and as a result I cast my eyes downward and gulped. “Hi Harley,” I gave him the best smile I could muster.

            He returned it with a lopsided grin and I could tell he was drunk. His breath smelt of beer and his copper eyes seemed to sparkle in the dim light. My light auburn hair fell into my face and Harley pushed it behind my ear. “Hey, Cay,” his voice purred. He dropped his hand and held it out to me. I gave it a confused look and he rolled his eyes at my hesitation. “We’re going to talk.”

            I slipped my hand into his and he led me through the throngs of people. His hand felt rough against my slim hand, but it was oddly comforting. I glanced back over my shoulder, but Griffin disappeared again. I furrowed my eyebrows and focused on Harley’s taller frame in front of me. His blue v-neck tee hung loosely on his body and I found myself licking my lips at the way his body moved. It had to have been the alcohol that was now in my system, but the mere look of Harley was turning me on—big time.

            He continued to pull me out through the back door, grabbing his and my coat on the way out. He handed it to me as we came across a bunch of people smoking on the back porch. The cold air nipped at my skin, giving me goose bumps, as well as the cold, dark eyes of Griffin. I slipped on my coat and he blew out a puff of smoke in my direction before turning back to the conversation that he was apart of.

            Harley kept walking down the steps towards a bunch of chairs for some privacy. He let go of my hand and the bitter weather made it grow cold. I plopped down on a cold, plastic lawn chair across from him. “So tell me what’s going on?” He asked leaning his forearms on his knees.

            I didn’t particularly want to tell Harley the real reason I was home. I figured he, like most people, wouldn’t understand. It’s not something I wanted everyone and their mother to know about, especially since I hated receiving the pity look. I didn’t want Harley to pity me. He was a good friend though and it was bound to come up in conversation some time, most likely if we were with Kirsten.

            I sighed heavily, giving in to my own mental argument. I hated to tell people about it.  “Um, well…” I trailed off unsure of myself. Harley saw the weary expression and few concerned.

            “Is everything okay? Nothing bad happened, right?” Harley’s eyebrows were so furrowed they meshed as one.

            “Not exactly, just-“ I paused, “just don’t pity me and don’t tell me you’re sorry. I’m just telling you what’s happening since you’re going to find out anyways from Kirsten. Okay?” I pleaded, desperate to not see that look on his face.

            “Okay.”

            “I moved home so I can go to therapy.” I started and Harley opened his mouth to speak, but I interrupted him. “I have depression and dropped out of school for now. I’m not going to explain because it’ll make me cry, I’m sure of it.”

            He tried to keep his expression passive, but for a split second I saw the pity look and my stomach dropped. He nodded in understanding. “What can I do to help?” I was thrown off guard by this question because no one had asked me that.