He didn't see the one behind him with a knife.

Quicker than I thought possible he jumped into the air, his weapon out in front, clenched in his two hands above his head. "No!" I screamed. Before I realized what I was doing I flung my arm out and watched as a huge ball of air hit him midair and send him flying in another direction. Panting, I nodded in my accomplishment. Sweet! Air power!

Kaycie tugged on my elbow, surprising me. "Come, Gracie. We must get away now!" I was so shocked at her pleasant voice that I let her drag me into the back of the castle. Once she reached the gardens she kept running until we reached the very back gate.

"But- Cody!" I wailed after catching my breath.

"Shh," she soothed petting my hair. "He'll be coming, don't worry,"

Suddenly I turned and glared at her, hands on my hips. "You didn't tell me about this plan!"

She looked sheepishly at the ground, twittling her thumbs. "I didn't have time?" Kaycie made it seem like a question.

"Mmhmm," I told her doubtfully, before I started pacing. No one came for at least fifteen minutes. Where is Cody? I whimpered slightly and glanced back up at the house worriedly. "Where is he?!" My voice was turning hysteric. Coils of dread were piling into my stomach by the second. "He could be hurt! Or or-" I broke off, not wanting to say the words.

Hands wrapped around my middle pulling me into a warm body. "Or right behind you," Cody's voice whispered in my ear. He kissed my temple and let me go. I only turned to fling myself at him.

"You could have been killed! No one told me! I thought you were going to die!" I sobbed into his bare chest. He crushed me to him gently, petting my hair.

"You’re a very bad lair, my little angel," he chuckled. "You had to be convincing."

I pulled away and slapped his stomach. "Convincing my-"

"Um guys? We got company..." Kaycie stared toward the house. All at once Cody, pushed my behind him, growling. We both froze when we saw who it was, but immediately Cody started again, pulling his sword from his sheath at his side.

"You take one more step and I will cut you into little pieces, you damn bastard," Cody threatened in snarls. Aku stopped and raised his hands in surrender looking calm. "What do you want?" He wasn't snarling anymore, but his voice was cruel.

"To warn you," Aku sighed. "I should've known not to mess with a Demon's Angel, but I was desperate... and lonely." It looked like it was hard for him to say. Good. He looked up from the ground suddenly. "There is a book. The Book of Saviors. Every Angel must sign it, or they die. Find it, or your Angel will be no more," Aku nodded at Cody, before walking back to the house, his hands in his pockets, wings drooped.

Cody stared after him, not sure what to say but nodded to himself anyway. He picked up a backpack overflowing with camping gear. "Say goodbye to Kaycie now,"

My eyes looked at him in sadness but I nodded and stepped forward to hug my friend hard. "Are you going to get out too?"

Kaycie laughed gently. "I will, eventually. There will be people who need my healing. You take care of yourself alright?" Then she whispered in my ear. "Oh girl you are going to LOVE the ring he got you!"

"Kaycie!" Cody yelled. The water nymph just giggled and hugged me again.

"Have fun with your man!" She sang before skipping away. I watched her, just laughing and shaking my head. Cody walked over, twining his fingers in mine.

"Damn, water nymph. Ruins all the surprises..." Cody grumbled. I swatted him on the stomach, giggling as shamelessly as Kaycie when he hugged me to him. "Come on, let's get out of here." We smiled at each other and went into the air, our wings skimming each other’s.

"Come here you!" Before I knew it, his hands were wrapped around my middle. Holding me under him as we flew. I leaned back into him, my head under his chin. Then we glided for a very long time.

****

When night came we rested in a forest a couple miles away. Cody hadn't wanted to start a fire for fear it would draw Hunter to us. He was almost positive our tormentor was still alive. I rested in Cody's lap, my dress spilling over his legs and onto the ground. We were both silent, very much content to just sit here and hold each other. But of course I had to go and talk. "Cody?"

"Hmm?" His voice was sleepy and warm.

"Did you really get me a ring?" I asked uncertainly. On my head, I felt his lips move into a smile.

"Yes, Angel," He leaned back and fished in his pocket. "Close your eyes," he demanded. I laughed and obeyed conscious of the fact that his voice was nervous. He slipped the ring onto my finger and sat back waiting. When I opened my eyes I found myself staring at a diamond ring. The band had two separate rows of diamonds, one on top of the other, sparkling despite the little light.

I turned and hugged Cody, hard. "Does that mean you like it?" he asked uncertainly.

"Yes, you silly Demon. I love it!" I sat back to admire it and its giver again. A smile planted itself on my lips. "This doesn't mean you’re asking me to marry you does it?" I looked at him coyly.

His answering smile was very soft; he kissed my forehead. "Not yet. Soon, but not yet," Cody snuggled his face into the spot between my shoulder and my neck. "This is just a promise for now. So you know how much I love you. When this all calms down, I'll find us some place. Some place where we can be alone and at peace."

"With a cottage?" I asked shyly.

The breath from his laugh tickled my skin. "I'll build you the best damn cottage you've ever seen," My demon kissed my head as I snuggled down deeper into his chest, both of us falling into a deep peaceful sleep.

The End.