Talking.

Ed's POV

I can hear Oswald's breaths getting heavier as I clean his wound. It's pretty bad... and now his shirt has blood stains on it. Oh well- this isn't the first time he's ruined his clothes with blood. 

I almost wish that his breaths are being taken out of nervousness. An odd concept, but one I find myself constantly thinking about as I help Oswald. 

As for the questions he asked me... I purposely avoided them, because I don't know how to tell him the truth: Not only do I miss Oswald, but he completes me. It's hard to process it in my own mind, so how can I expect him to understand this sudden lack of hatred? But then again, maybe it was never hatred, but obsession, like Lee said....

Oswald winces.

"I- I'm sorry."

"It's fine," he replies quickly. Oswald purses his lips and looks down.

"How have you been?" I blurt.

He shoots me a surprised but slightly sarcastic smile, much like the one he gave when I first met him in the GCPD.

"How am I? Isn't it obvious that I'm feeling glorious?" Oswald's smile turns flat. "There is a bullet in my shoulder, an unconscious orphan boy behind us who got shot because of my carelessness, and I had no choice but to come to Edward Nygma." 

The way he spits my name out of his mouth stings. I take a breath and nod, then look back down at Oswald's wound. I guess I'm not very good at covering up emotional tolls, because I can feel him reading my face, staring.

"Why are you doing this, Ed?" he asks in a softer voice. "Do- do you want something from me, or-"

"Yeah, I do," I say quickly. 

"I knew it.... So, what is it then? Power? Money? Reve- Ow!" I set the bullet in the tray next to me. More blood is coming out now; I'll wrap his arm soon.

"No, none of those things," I say quietly.

"What are your intentions?"

"I just wanted to be with you." My words spill out before I can catch them. "Uh, I mean I need you!" I start mumbling in frustration in attempt to stop saying idiotic things.

"That's not what I meant to say," I whisper. My face is burning.

"Okay," is all Oswald says. I can't read the emotions on his face. Confusion? Relief? I have no idea.

I slowly unravel the bandage. Oswald is looking in the other direction now, so it probably takes him off guard when I pull his shirt a bit lower. He jumps a bit, but doesn't move otherwise.

Carefully, I slide my hand over the surface of Oswald's warm skin, bringing the bandage up and around his flesh. He twitches at the touch of my rather cold fingers along the back of his shoulder, but I continue to wrap. His head slowly turns towards me. Our eyes meet. His are sad.

"Did you mean it? That you need me?"

"I...."

Oswald takes a shaky breath and stares at his hands.
"Ed, why did you mock me? I... I let you go, thinking that you were just... well, Ed... but the man I knew wouldn't do those things. Why did you do it?"

"Atten- attention." I stutter.

"From..?"

"I- I don't know, Oswald. Stop questioning me." 

I finish wrapping his shoulder, but my palm lingers on him for a moment. Without thinking, I move my hand towards Oswald's chest to button up his shirt, but I quickly snatch it back before he notices what I almost do.

I stand up and walk to the sink, placing my hands on its rim and taking a deep breath.
"You're all set to go, Oswald."

[ik this chapter sucks oops i'm sorry
swear the next one will be better]