it was all yellow

The one where Kim pretends to be Trini's girlfriend because the fake dating trope makes me weak

~

Kimberly Hart had never been more sure of anything in her life. She hated Biology with every fibre in her body, it was final. She was sitting at her desk with her hands clutching her hair tightly and wondering what the hell was going through her mind when she decided to take the AP Bio 12 class. Clearly nothing, otherwise she would've had enough sense to choose something easier like Home Ec or Photography or literally anything else. But, there she was, studying for a midterm that she knew absolutely nothing about and— wait, was that a grey hair?

Oh god, Biology was making her age faster too.

She let out a loud groan and dropped her forehead onto her desk with a soft thud. Silence filled her bedroom. She curled her arms to cushion her head and let her eyes fall shut as her thoughts began to wander. She felt the sudden sleepiness creep up on her until there were a few taps on her window that startled her out of her daze. It wasn't a surprise when she saw Trini on the opposite side of the glass, the shorter girl had been having trouble sleeping as of late and had found solace in Kim's bedroom more often than not.

Kimberly pulled the window pane up and allowed her best friend to climb into the house, tugging her forward into a light hug.

"Hello, Ms. Gomez, and to what do i owe this pleasure?" She asked with a cheeky grin, ignoring the way her heart fluttered at the giggle Trini let out.

"Am I not allowed to visit my best friend now?" Trini retorted with her ever-present smirk and Kim snorted.

"Well, normally that would be acceptable, however, when it's almost 2A.M. i know that something's up."

Trini put her hands up in surrender and took a seat at the edge of Kim's bed. "Alright, you caught me," she conceded. "I need to ask a favour."

"Ask away, little yellow," Kim chuckled when Trini scowled. The name used to be triggering for Trini, reminding her of her encounter with Rita in the dead of night, but she found that if she turned it into a joke, it helped her to move on, so Kim knew she was safe. She laid her head down on the girls lap and saw her hard edges melt away into the soft marshmallow Kimberly knew she really was. She hummed as Trini began running her fingers through her hair lightly and let her eyes fall shut.

"So, my cousin is getting married next week," Trini began and Kim let her continue because she already knew this information. "It's gonna be a pretty big thing, and he said to invite a plus one if i want..." She trailer off. Kim cracked one eye open and looked up at the yellow ranger expectantly. "So I was wondering if you'd go with me?"

Kim hummed, not understanding why it took Trini forever and half to spit out the simple question.

"Yeah, of course, T. I'd love to," she smiled, but it faltered when Trini still looked nervous.

"Okay but, like, there's one more thing. You have to pretend to be my girlfriend," she rushed out and Kim sat up, feeling nerves bubble up in her stomach.

"Wh-what?"

"I mean, you don't have to!" Trini was quick to add on. "It's just that I don't want to keep getting hounded about who i'm dating, when i'm going to start dating, if i need tips on getting someone to date, and there's going to be, like, a lot of family there, which is like, a lot of questions about my romantic life, you know? And i'd rather-"