Chapter Twelve: My First Appearance

Isla Richards

Kate and Will had left two days ago for their honeymoon and today I would be doing my first public appearance as the girlfriend of Prince Harry. We would be going to The Children's Society and I was happy to be able to relate to these children.

"Are you nervous?" Harry asked as our care pulled towards the building.

"No, I know what these children are going through and I am more than happy to be here," I said earning him to grin before the car stopped and I heard people cheering for Harry and I. Harry opened the door first and got out before turning and helping me out.

I waved to some of the people who were waiting behind the barriers and I grinned as they took photos of Harry and me. We walked over to the headmaster who smiled.

"Welcome Your Highnesses." He said and I felt myself freeze before Harry smiled.

"It's wonderful to be here," Harry said before the man turned and shook my hand.

"I'm happy to be here. Excited really." I said and he nodded before turning and leading us inside. The took our coats and the first part we were lead to was the babies area. I wanted to cry when I saw newborn babies being held by teenagers.

"Were they left here?" I asked the Headmaster and he nodded at me.

"Yes, the little girl in the purple blanket was left two days ago. Would you like to hold her?" He asked making me smile.

"May I?" I questioned before he led Harry and me over to the little girl and took her away from the teenager before placing her in my arms.

I stared at the little girl and felt like sobbing there. Who would leave babies here?

"How many newborns are left here? Is there enough people to help?" I asked and the Headmaster nodded.

"Yes, we have more than enough people helping us." He confirmed before I placed the baby back on the teenagers' arm. Harry grabbed my hand and we were led to the toddler area. They didn't pay us any mind until I saw a little boy with a cast on his arm.

"Who is that?" Harry questioned as he pointed to the little boy. The Headmaster followed his gaze before growing.

"Paul Devino. We found him after he came to school with a broken cheekbone. We later found out his mother's boyfriend abused him." He explained and I watched as Harry made his way over to the boy. I placed a hand over my heart as the little boy flinched when Harry approached him.

The little boy then bowed to Harry before the began talking. I felt someone tug the bottom of my dress and I smiled at the little girl there.

"Are you a princess?" She questioned as I bent down to her size.

"No, I'm not a princess. But I am dating a Prince." I said and I watched as she gasped.

"Is he here?" She asked and I grinned before pointing to Harry.

"He looks like the beast!" She cried out and I chuckled.

"He does, doesn't he? He is my prince." I said before I saw Harry stand up, shake the little boy's hand before making his way over to me.

"Well, who is this little girl?" Harry asked as he kneeled down to us.

"I'm Emily! You're Prince Harry!" Emily said before she curtsied to him and Harry chuckled.

"It's wonderful to meet you, Emily. But I have to take my girlfriend to the speaking room." Harry said and Emily whined before she turned to me.

"Will you come back to play?" She asked and I nodded as I stood up.

"If not today then, later on, this week," I said before I grabbed Harry's hand and the headmaster led us to the speaking room where everyone gave speeches and I would be giving my first one today.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked and I blinked before turning to him and smiling.

"Just seeing those babies being left here bothers me. They aren't old enough to defend themselves." I whispered and Harry nodded as he kissed my head.

"I know. We will figure something out." He said as we were led to our table and the Headmaster walked to the front of the stage.

"Good afternoon everyone. Today we have the pleasure of hosting two important people. His Royal Highness Prince Harry and his wonderful girlfriend Ms. Isla Richards." The Headmaster said making everyone smile as Harry and I stood up and waved to everyone. 

"Now please help me welcome Ms. Isla Richards to the stage," Headmaster added and I smiled before walking onto the stage and shaking the Headmaster's hand. 

"Thank you, Headmaster, for having me here. Growing up I was like most of you sitting here. I was bounced from school to school because my parents never wanted my brother and I home. They never paid for me to go. I would study and work from the time I was eight to not be home." I began as I smoothed out my papers. 

"When I was allowed to come home I had to be out of the house an hour after I woke up and couldn't come back until the sun was down. I never knew what it was like to be loved by my parents. Growing up I had always dreamed of another family coming to get me saying they were my real parents." I added earning the teens to laugh. 

"I know and understand everything you are going through. I have been through it and I have survived and I can truly help you learn how to overcome this period of time. Because it is a time period and I promise when you overcome this you will be free. Free of the life you have dreamed of being free of."

"To some, I may just be the Prince's girlfriend but trust me I am so much more. I can be the shoulder to cry out, the ear you need to vent to about any problems. I am here for you whenever you need me. I promise I won't disappear when you need me the most." I finished and all the teens in the room stood up and cheered for me. I smiled at them before nodding and making my way back off the stage and towards Harry who smiled and pulled me into a hug. 

"You did wonderful love. I'm so proud of you." He said and I grinned before hugging him. 

"Ms. Richards that speech was incredible." The Headmaster said as I turned and faced him. 

"It was from the heart. I understand what these kids are going through." I explained as I shook his hand and smiled. 

"Is there any way that some of them can contact you?" He questioned and I nodded before Harry handed me my purse and I pulled out my card. 

"You can have them email me to this address and have them put an address so I can write back," I said and he nodded. 

"Again thank you, Ms. Richards." He said and I nodded before turning to Harry who grinned at me. 

"You were natural. I wasn't this good at my first alone speech." He said as He helped me into my coat and we began to walk outside. 

"Well some of us are more of a natural," I said with a laugh and he stared at me for a moment before laughing. 

"You believe you're funny don't you?" He asked as he opened the car door for me and helped me in before getting in himself. 

"I'm hilarious my love. You just won't admit it." I said before he pulled me into a kiss. I gasped before kissing him back. Once he pulled away I stared at him for a moment before smiling. 

"Well, that was shocking," I said with a grin. 

"I aim to please."