Dog Days

Chapter 1

Author Note: There will be canon compliant abuse. If that bothers you, please exit now. Also, this will be a reverse harem, and she will end up with all of the guys, eventually. Thank you in advance, and have a wonderful day. Enjoy c:

  "Listen here, you ungrateful child!" She yells, anger and fear the only things clear in her otherwise crazed and unfocused eyes. "You may have everyone else wrapped around your whorish fingers, but not me. No, I'm too smart for your stupid powers to work on me, so stop even trying! You're just like her, the whore!" She spits the words at me.

She advances towards me, where I am huddled in a ball on the floor of the kitchen after having kneeled on rice for I don't even know how long. It isn't the worst punishment I've ever had, but it had been long and painful, and I'm sore and scared. She looks like a wild animal, teeth bared and eyes frenzied, her hands coming at me like a lion attacking its prey.

I flinch and her eyes seem to clear for a fraction of a second before she turns towards the counter and grabs a half filled glass, flinging it at me. I cover my head and neck the best I can with my arms and it shatters, shards and water splashing over them.

"Get out of my sight!" She screams at me, and then I feel like an animal. Caged, backed into a corner with my tail between my legs, retreating to lick my wounds.

I nod, acknowledging that I understood. I got up, wincing from the pain in my legs as I did, the sounds of rice plinking to the floor the only things I could hear besides her heavy, ragged breathing as I pass, keeping my head down and going up the stairs quickly towards my room.

When I get to my door, I pop it open with my bobby pin, and then return it to the hiding spot.

Shutting the door behind me, I take a second to asses the damage. My knees are bruised, splotchy purple with some rice still stuck to my skin. I pick the pieces out, discarding them into the garbage. I can't see how bad parts of my arms are, but I'm pretty sure there's a scratch on the back of my left one- I'm not risking a trip to the bathroom mirror to check though.

I turn my radio on, hoping that the volume isn't too high and that she'll leave me alone for the rest of the day.

After a couple of hours, I make my way to the restroom, stopping by her door to check in.

She's passed out on her bed, her mouth open and drool escaping down her cheek, dark bags under her eyes. Her hair is unkempt, and I am fairly certain she's been wearing the same night gown for a couple of days. She's so small and unthreatening like this, if I hadn't been the target of her anger for the past few years I am sure I wouldn't believe her capable of it.

I continue on as quietly as possible. The stop to the bathroom confirms my suspicion, and I dig out the first aid kit from under the sink. I try my best to put some medicine on most of my cuts, silently hissing at the sting.

After returning it to its home, I decide that it's time I get out of this house. It's quite, so I decide to check on Marie, who isn't home. I wonder if she's using her power to hide, or if she just isn't home right now.

I think about earlier. I wonder what my mom was talking about, me using my power. I didn't have one as far as I could tell- I took after her, being powerless, whereas my sister had the gift of invisibility.

Most everyone in this world has a power, or powers. Some are as simple as being able to turn invisible, others as complicated as being able to control another human being.

I shudder at the thought.

Being powerless though was rare, and usually ran in families.

In all my years of life, I have never been able to do anything consistently. I once thought that I had the power to levitate, but I was only able to do it for a couple hours before it just went away.