Carry That Weight (Book 2)

• Dedicated to My Best Friend, Emma

This is the second story of Golden Slumbers. :) If George or Ringo is your favorite Beatle, you're in luck. It's all about the two and  their struggle with love. It'll show both of their perspectives throughout which'll be interesting to write :D

They're my favorites so maybe this story will be better than the first. My best friend, Emma is helping me out  with this so kudos to her.

Alrighty, enjoy.

Chapter 1- Don't Pass Me By

Ringo

The evening my life had completely changed was almost as gloomy as any other rainy Sunday. The pub George, my love Jessica, and I sat in was crowded with a mix of unfamiliar faces as if those who filled it were running to escape from the wet weather outside. We were sitting at the dirty bar, a warm scotch in front of George and I, a vodka in Jessica's, when George spoke up. A slight hesitation tainted his voice.

"Um," he looked a little embarrassed. "Be right back." He got up from his seat and walked towards the toilet. I looked over to Jessica who averted her eyes awkwardly away from my gaze. Embarrassed by her nervousness she glanced down at her tiny, navy blue shoes. I turned back to my scotch and smiled lightly to myself finding her uneasiness cute, like a bashful pup.

I looked up from my drink to see George exiting the toliet and head towards the beat up, old jukebox. Slipping a nickle into the machine he flipped through the asorted records, the clicking of each record reaching me from across the pub.

This was the perfect moment for me to make my move. I could feel the sticky sweat slither down the back of my neck and my heart beat gallop at an unsteady speed. Her beauty under the flickering light of the bulbs above, was utterly breathtaking. Jessica smiled softly before taking another sip of her strong drink. Here it goes.

"Jessica?" She looked over at me with her big, round, chocolatey eyes.

"Yes?" Her voice was like autumn chimes. They made it hard for me to continue. Everything around us seemed to melt away as I sat there with my one true love. Was this real? This feeling I felt? It was overwhelming, that was for sure. I cleared my throat and started to say, "Will-"

I was rudely interrupted by George's voice. "Hey, you guys!" The two of us looked over to see him with a girl around 19.  She had light red hair that flowed down to her shoulders. She wore a light blue dress against her fair skin, which was beautiful and shining under the blinking light. As they approached us she smiled warmly and nodded her head in greeting. 

"Hullo," she said with a bit of an irish accent. "I'm Lorraine."

"Richard," I said. "But you can call me Ringo." I guessed that this was a dumb comment because of our fame she probably already had known who I was. She smiled up at me and politely nodded her head. I started to take notice to the fact  that the sight of us didnt result in her swooning, like other girls who met me or George. This fascinated me. 

"Jessica," my love chimed in and took Lorraine's hand to shake it. They smiled at each other and the four of us sat awkwardly for a few seconds. "I noticed that you have an accent," Jessica broke the silence. "Where ya from?"  With this, Lorraine perked up.

"Oh, I'm from Kilkenny, Ireland," she boasted. "It's pretty small but there's some pretty historical stuff there." 

"Ah, I'm from London but I've always wanted to visit Ireland," Jessica said. "It looks amazing."

"'Tis! The government could use a little help," Loraine chuckled, "but other than that I'd really recommend you take a trip there. Now here in London..."

George and I exchanged glances. The girls chattered on about taking trips and such, leaving us to sit aside.

"I think I'll get a smoke," I coughed. The two girls looked over and simply nodded, quickly diving back into their conversation. Maybe it was rude of me but I needed a word with George. "George?" I looked over at my mate who raised his eyebrows and nodded in my direction at this as if he knew I needed to speak to him. 

"Be back, love," George said in a deep seductive voice. He kissed Lorraine's hand and the two of us exited the pub into the wet alley.

"What the fuck, George," I breathed right when the door closed behind us. My breath morphed into a cloud in front of me. George looked down at his feet. "This is Paul all over again, you know."

"I know!" he exclaimed.

"Pattie?" I said quizically as I stuck a ciggarette into my mouth. I grabbed one for him which he stuck in his own mouth. I lit both and took a big drag. George ran his fingers through his hair. 

"God, Ringo. I can't help it! Did you see that bird back there? She was stunning! And did you see how she reacted to us?" That was true, she was stunning. But we couldn't keep following this pattern.

"George... Nothing serious, okay? Maybe like a one night thing. But nothing serious. Can you promise me that?" 

George looked at his shiny, black shoes and said nothing. I could tell he was thinking of a way to respond. 

"For Pattie." I took one more drag from my ciggarette and smashed it on the cold, dirty ground of the alley. George still didn't say anything but kept puffing his ciggarette. His eyes lit up and he smashed the ciggarette butt on the ground.

"Yeah. That's all it is. Golly, Rings. You get so worked up over nothing?" His nonchalant tone made me a little suspicious but I payed no mind and patted him on the back. 

"Come 'ed, then. The girls are waiting."

The two of us entered the pub to find the girls imersed in a deep conversation. Jessica . was the first to look over at us, her tight curls bouncing as her head turned. 

"Hullo, boys," she said happily.

"Let's go home," I said, kissing her cheek and winking. Jessica beamed and hopped off of her stool with the help of my strong arm. George did the same with Lorraine and the four of us walked out into the chilled streets of London.

***

The rain tamed as we walked down the empty streets. George and Lorraine walked ahead of me and Jessica, giving me that perfect chance again. I pulled my love in closer to my warm body. She snuggled into me and sighed.

"I love you, you know," I breathed. Jessica looked up into my eyes. Her face was starting to get a little red from being in the cold wind. My hand gently caressed her cheeks and down her neck. "You have no idea how much I love you. I want to be with you for forever." I started slowly to kneel on the wet street. 

Jessica looked down at me and tears started escaping her eyes. Quickly, I stood up and wiped them away with my hand.

"Don't be afraid, my love." I slowly moved closer to kiss her tears away--

"Hey!" George's voice came bursting through the chilled air, once again ruining the moment. Jessica sniffed and wiped the tears left on her face away and replied, "yes?" In the least shaky voice she could muster. 

"We just came across that Chevalier restaurant I've been meaning to go to for a while... Can we go?" 

I rolled my eyes at George's unending appetite. It seemed to ruin everything.

"Fine," I yelled back at him. Maybe another time I'll have the perfect moment to ask. I grabbed Jessica's hand and we strolled over to where George and Lorraine stood in front of the fanciest restaurant I'd ever seen. 

As we entered, I hoped--no I prayed that the opportunity to ask for Jessica's hand don't pass me by.