Dead, not just in the inside but in rl too.

Blinding lights, the screeching of tires, and-!

Jolting awake, I breathed in what felt like shards of glass, my heart thrashing against my ribs. Where am I? What happened-? I -! Ah. Right.

Exhausted, I closed my eyes and relaxed against the floor. Breathing slowly became easier and the frantic thumping stopped. I should be happy, I told myself, my dream came true. Instead I was annoyed. I'd always believed, hoped, that death was simply ceasing to exist, but my headache and the unfortunate ability to think proved otherwise. Maybe it just takes some time for my consciousness to disappear. So I cleared my mind and waited to disappear- well, tried. All I could think about was that truck.

Not once in all my near misses and hopeful fantasies did I think it would be a truck. Alcohol poisoning, messing with the wrong person's wife, murdered by a client, downing one too many happy pills, or some weird combination? -Wouldn't surprise me. But mowed down by a truck? Ugh how fucking blind am- was, I reminded myself. How blind was I to NOT notice an entire truck racing toward me? ....ugh. What a mess...

Unable to gather the will to get up, I sighed and started moving my fingers before testing the rest of my body. Nothing seemed to hurt. At least I have a good excuse for not showing up to work this time. Sorry honey, got turned into roadkill trying to-

My eyes snapped open. Wait, did the dog survive!?

Normally I would have taken a taxi or something, I only crossed the street because of that dog. I was standing on the sidewalk, trying to unlock my phone. And there it was, a dog. Trying to drag itself across the street. Wanting to help, I crossed. I was only a feet away when- ah. that's what I get for being so stupid. Even now, I could almost hear Her laughing, saying that of course I was too much of a idiot to do what even little kids knew to do before crossing the street- Look both ways.

Shaking the Her voice out of my head, I tried to concentrate on what happened to that poor dog. Waiting must have started to work because it was hard, like trying to remember something from a past life, but eventually the feeling of having my face licked as I bled out on the pavement came back to me. It must have been the dog, no one else would do something like that. Unless... unless it was some creep with a fetish for licking off blood of dying people.....

Immediately regretting even thinking it, I roughly scrubbed my face clean with the back of my hands. Calm down, there's no way that would happen...at least it's highly unlikely. Either way, it doesn't matter now that I'm dead, right?

Disgusted and frankly tired of waiting, I tested my free arm before shifting my weight over to it, and gingerly moved the rest of my limbs. Everything seemed to be working. I was still unsure whether it was safe to stand up, after all, the last thing I needed was to stand up, lose my balance, and smash my head open. Wait, I'm already dead. Can I even die again? .....ah. fuck it.

I stood up. Surprisingly, other than the dull ache in my chest, I felt better than I did when I was alive. I wondered briefly if it got bruised earlier during its failed escape from my ribs before shrugging and gently stretching.

......Well, now that I'm up, where am I? The only thing in sight was endless emptiness, nothing but pure white space. Other than the sound of my heart, it was quiet. So quiet that my thoughts sounded like yelling. I sighed again, the afterlife- or whatever this was- was real apparently. I shouldn't be surprised, the whole ceasing to exist sounded too good to be true, besides, with how many times I've been told to go rot in hell, I'd be more surprised if there wasn't one. I know that I definitely earned my own special little place in it.