Chapter 1: Check Your Seats Before a Game

You never know when something incredible in your life is going to happen. It starts off as a normal day but life throws a curveball in your direction. Whether it's a good one or a bad one, I guess you'll just have to find out.

I'm Kelsey Grand, and this is my story on how i met a certain Blackhawk that captured my heart. I live in a cozy apartment in dowtown Chicago. I have always been a Chicago girl and was raised here. My wonderful train of thought was interupted by the obnoxious ringing of my phone.

“Hey Kels, getting ready for tonight?” she asked

“Of course! I’m so anxious already!”

“I know me too! I can’t believe we are going to the game” She squealed

Oh might I add, Emma was a HUGE Blackhawk fan. When I say HUGE I mean HUGE. She is practically hysterical when it comes to the Blackhawks, but it is one of the many things I have learned to deal with. I mean that's what best friends do right? We learn to deal with all the craziness.

“So what are you planning on wearing to the game?” She said in her now calm voice.

“Ummmmm I was actually thinking on wearing my Cannucks jersey” I joked

“Ok, but I warn you if you wear one I will ditch you the second we get there!” She said with a serious tone.

We both laughed. She hung up a while after saying that she would pick me up at 6. I went into the kitchen and got a bowl of cereal. As I ate I stared at my green kitchen wall. I had no idea why I was so nervous it was just a normal hockey game. After I finished eating I went back into my room. I turned on the light to my closet.

What was i going to wear?

I pulled out my dark wash skinny jeans, and a Patrick Kane jersey. What Emma didn’t know about me was that I had a tiny little crush on Kane. Just a tiny crush nothing big... but then again so did a bunch of obsessive 14 year olds. Hey, i guess they'd be fangirling along my side. I went to take a shower, and pulled on the clothes I decided to wear. Once my hair was dry I started to straighten it. My long brown hair normally cascaded down my back in soft waves, but today I wanted it to be stickstraight so out came my straightener.

I looked at the clock on my wall it was 5:00. I had to calm myself because I felt like I would start screaming my head off, and if I did people would probably think I was getting murdered. Only an hour left until Emma came and picked me up. I plopped down on the couch and turned on the TV. It’s not like I was watching it, I was too busy freaking out over the game. Before I knew it my doorbell rang. I rushed to go get it.

“ARE YOU READY KELS!?” Shrieked Emma.

There in my doorway stood Emma in a Sharp jersey. I swear she was in love with that guy. I wouldn’t be surprised if she had a wedding book planning their wedding.

“Em, you need to calm down. I think you broke my frickin eardrum!” I hissed while slipping on my converse and grabbing my bag.

“ CALM DOWN!? HOW CAN I CALM DOWN? LET’S GO!!” She screamed pulling me out the door.

I managed to grab my sweater before she closed the door. We walked down the stairs, well not exactly I walked down the stairs, Emma practically pranced down the stairs. When we got to her car she jumped in the drivers seat, and I sat beside her. She started the car and blasted the radio. It was playing Chelsea Dagger… Oh how ironic! She pulled out on the street and we started heading toward the United Center.
We sang along with the radio the whole way there. As we got closer my stomach started to get butterflies, and I know Emma felt the same way because her eyes weren’t even on the road, they were on the United Center in the distance.

“Em seriously, keep your eyes on the road! We don’t need to get in an accident right now.”

“Pshhhhh don’t worry! Plus I don’t plan on dying without talking to Sharp, so I’m not planning on dying anytime soon.” She stated while pulling into the
United Center parking lot.

At this time my stomach was doing flip-flops. I was so excited and so nervous. We got out of the car, and there were so many people. Emma held onto my arm as we weaved our way through the massive crowds of people. When we finally got into the Center we realized that we needed to find our seats.

“Em you do have our tickets right?”

“Yeah of course I do!” She looked offended that I didn’t trust her.

Let’s just say she doesn’t have the best memory. Her dad had given her two tickets for her birthday which happened to be yesterday. She called me yesterday and told me the exciting news, and asked if I wanted to come along with her.
So here we were standing in the United Center looking for someone to help us find our seats.

“Do you even know how good the seats are?” I asked

“You know what? I was so excited about them that I never actually checked!”

We went up to this woman who looked like she could help us. She was a little on the older side and was blowing massive bubbles with her gum.

“Excuse me mam’ but do you think you could help us find our seats?” Emma asked politely

“WHAT? YOU NEED NEW FEET?” She yelled

Obviously this lady was deaf. Emma looked at me with a funny expression. I couldn’t help but start cracking up. The woman shot me a look and I immediately stopped laughing. Luckily this other guy overheard the whole conversation and quickly helped us find our seats.
He led us straight to the seats behind the Hawks bench. I was surprised when he said those were our seats. I looked over at Emma who was staring at the guy with an open mouth.

“THESE ARE OUR SEATS!?” She exclaimed

“Yeah… according to your tickets.” He said slowly
looking confused

“OH MY GOD! THANK YOU SO MUCH!” Emma screeched and went over to the guy and crushed him in a big hug

He gave her a quick pat on the back and rushed back. I couldn’t believe Emma’s dad had given her tickets that had seats behind the glass to the bench. This was INSANE. I looked over at Emma who’s eyes were super wide. We both broke into a huge smile and started screaming. We were jumping around oblivious to the others around us until we finally realized that we probably looked crazy.
We quickly sat down and looked around. A few people were watching us with annoyed expressions. Ooops. We would have to control ourselves. The arena started to get fuller and fuller. I could practically see the excitement bouncing off everyone. Then the announcer came on the speakers introducing the Hawks players. Everyone started cheering I looked over at Emma who was full on freaking out. I’m pretty sure I had never seen her scream so loud. I watched as all the players came out one by one. When Sharp came out I was sure to cover my ears as Emma leaned into me and started jumping around and screaming as loud as she could.

Then they announced Patrick Kane. When he skated out my eyes locked on him. My heart stopped. I couldn’t hear anyone screaming it was just Patrick Kane and only him. As he skated to the bench he looked up at me. He did a double take and looked at me for a bit longer before sitting down between Sharp and Toews.
Was it just me or did he stare at me the same way I was staring at him?