Chapter 1

I know I said I wasn't going to upload the first chapter until next week, but I finished it early so I thought I would go ahead and post it now. I hope you all enjoy it. I will have you another chapter next week. So strap yourself in and get ready for one wild ride. Welcome to Judgment Day. :)

(Michael)

I rang the doorbell and turned to face the yard. Always having my back to something solid was a habit of mine. When you have a lot of enemies you watch your back. My eyes scanned the dark yard, looking for any signs of danger. I didn't see any.

Just then, the door opened. An older gentleman stood there, wearing a butlers uniform.

"May I help you?" he asked, politely.

"My name is Riker," I said. "Mr. Bennett is expecting me."

"Come with me."

I followed him across a large entrance hall, up the stairs, and down a long hallway. At the end of the hall, he knocked on the door and then opened it.

"Mr. Riker is here, sir," he announced.

"Let him in, Andrew."

"You may go in," Andrew told me.

I thanked him and entered the room.

"Thank you for coming, Mr. Riker," Bennett said, rising from his chair. He moved around the desk and offered me his hand. "I'm sorry for asking you to meet me so late."

"I'm a night person, Mr. Bennett," I said, shaking his hand firmly. "It's still early for me."

He released my hand and gestured for me to take a seat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. "Would you like something to drink? I have scotch, bourbon-"

"Thank you, but I don't drink." I unbuttoned my suit coat and sat down, making sure my back wasn't to the door. "I imagine you're busy so let's get to it. What can I do for you, Mr. Bennett?"

He sank down in his chair. "Have you ever protected someone?"

"No, I can't say I have." I raised an eyebrow. "Why do you want to know?"

Bennett cleared his throat. "I want to hire you to protect my sister Julia from our monster of a father."

"Mr. Bennett, I don't think you're aware of what it is that I do. I don't keep people safe. I get rid of them."

"I'm well aware of what you do, Mr. Riker." He looked into my eyes. "I understand you have a certain set of skills. I would feel better knowing you were watching over Julia. Should the men that are after her find her you could use those set of skills and take care of them."

"Instead of protecting your sister, I could just take care of the men that are after her," I suggested.

He grimaced. "I don't have a clue who these men are. They're being careful. I would expect nothing less, considering my father hired them."

I leaned forward slightly. "So your father wants your sister dead?"

"Yes," he uttered coldly. "He's never loved Julia. He always saw her as a burden-always treated her so cruelly."