Chapter 11. 'Lohri'

Anusha's POV

The next morning when I wake up Papa was on call talking to Jasprit Uncle ji, Siddharth's father.

He was on call for the past 30 minutes.

They were talking about me, as the upcoming Lohri was going to be my first Lohri with them, they wanted me to join in. Aunty ji wanted me to attend the pooja with her son.

The woman never forget to ask about me.

They wanted us to have blessings of elders and god. They wanted us to live a life full of love and wealth.

Lohri being the festival we celebrate on a big scale whenever there's a reason to celebrate and the words they have mentioned were I am the reason for their happiness.

Well if you hadn't noticed, then let me mention it you- I had started calling them Uncle ji and Aunty ji. Progress right?

I don't know why but I was happy.

I was excited.
I think I was excited for - for seeing him after long.

I wanted to be sure about his feelings for me, I wanted to be sure his intentions for me hasn't changed yet.

What I earned in a disguise of the proposal was something I never wanted to loose. I was desparate to keep it with me. Forever.
Till I could.

Venue decided for the function was Khanna's lawn, where the engagement party was held. Only the name of Khanna mansion was enough for drifting my mind back to the engagement night.

I could never forget that day, the memory was trapped inside me since forever now. That was the most embarrassing day of my life. Yet I was riant.

I was sure inside I accepted - replied with a yes because I wanted to see the smile on my parents face but something in me was sure, my happiness was hidden beneath.

I stood blushing in front of everyone standing spell bounded.

But you liked it, Don't you?

Ugh! Not again.

Following day

I was worried about what I was going to wear. I had been to numerous Lohri functions before, even have organised a few but never been the most expected guest, ever.

Never have experienced the eyes awaiting.

I was swimming inside my wardrobe. Never detested myself for having so many options for clothing. Still I had nothing to wear.

What to wear. Was the only pain in my heart.

One of the toughest question you ever ask to a girl!

Trying every dress one by one, showing it to my mother and sister for their approval was a tiring job. Mumma wanted me to wear a saree, where as Ayusha, wanted me to wear a suit.

What I wanted to wear was not negotiable. I was dying to crawl into my bed and call sleep in. I was too shy to walk out.

What.To.Do?

"This is the 7th dress I'm trying, I'm tired now."

"Acha acha, one more dress. What about this one? Right, Mumma?"
Ayusha said taking out a pastel purple coloured anarkali suit from my wardrobe, showing it to Mumma.

In reply, Mumma nodded and looked at me,
"I think this will look good on you plus its not too heavy and not too light as well"

"Whatever"
I rolled my eyes, take the dress from Ayusha, went inside the bathroom to try the outfit on- I swear this was going to be the last dress I was trying.