Chapter Twenty- Five: Denile

~Corey...

I tapped my index finger on the counter top lightly as I stared at the empty living room ahead of me. My focus was aimless but I was anything but calm.

I looked down at my phone only to realize that the text or call I've been waiting for had yet to come in. It's battery was charged and I made a point of turning up the volume.

So why didn't I receive a call yet?

It was then that I heard the sound of keys being jiggled just beyond the door and soon, it swung open.

"Oh god, why you so stupid?" Terrine smiled while setting down her things.

I could hear the voice of the person she was talking to on the other line... I immidiately felt a knot in my stomache when i realized that she wasn't talking to a female.

"Ha, yeah right.... Yo little ass couldn't knock anybody out to save your life"

"Little?" He scoffed. "That nigga caught these hands, size ain't got shit to do with it"

"But you a lie though" She laughed.

"How you much you wanna bet?" The faint voice on the other line replied.

"Yo, on everything, if you prove to me that you whooped his ass, I will personally pay you a stack..." She laughed.

"No lie?"

"True shit. There's no way you could have left a man of that size unconscious... I won't believe it"

"What I gotta lie fa?... He tried me so I got that nigga right. On this one, you'll be paying me my money, no hesitation B..."

"Haha shut up--"

"So you just Finna carry on with some nigga on the phone like I'm not even standing here?" I interuppted.

"Uhhh, I gotta go ight?..." She said with a sudden lose of enthusiasm.

"You good? Why you sound like that?"

"No reason, I just got home and Jacobi is sleeping... I didn't wanna be so loud and wake him"

"Oh alright... We still Finna hang tommorrow? This time you could bring Jacobi and I'll bring lani. Have us a lil play date."

"I'll think about it.... Text you later"

"Cool"

Finally tucking her phone away in her back pocket, I saw her eyes search my face frantically and I couldn't understand why but that irked me more.

It was as if she didn't get why I was so angry.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"The hell you mean? You stroll up in here after I don't see you for two days straight and you heheing and hahaing with some clown on the phone at that"

Her face clenched up instantly after. "Two days? Corey I took Jacobi to go see his grandmother yesterday, we spent the night there then I came back here this morning"

"So where the fuck have you been?"

"Out with a friend, can you chill?" She said. "I made sure I gave Jacobi his medicine, I made breakfast and even left you a note"

"Please watch Jacobi, I'll be out for a while... Love you doesn't tell me much, terrine"

"Okay, let me get this straight" She chuckled sarcastically for minute while scratching her chin.

"Your angry because I left you a note saying I was gonna be out, even though I didn't have to and asked you to watch my kid when you already do that anyways?"