Tilt Your Head

I sat in the center of my bed with my acoustic guitar in my lap. My fingers danced across the fretboard, creating a soft melody that seemed to echo around the room. It wasn't my usual style. I preferred more upbeat rock or blues riffs, but if they wanted emotional, this would have to do.

As I sorted out the chords I liked best, I started to experiment with random melodies by singing the first things that came to mind.

"I've been waiting for you a long time,

Because I need to give you back this... lime.

And I need to know where not to go,

To find the right... kind."

I cringed a bit but continued spewing nonsense anyway.

"I'll hang out near the... window pane,

Wondering if it'll ever be the same.

Some nights I cry myself to sleep,

Hoping I'll learn my own name."

That one was a little too... meh.

"Lions roar and pigs have chins,

I have eyes like fish have fins.

I haven't a clue what's going on,

But I need to write this stupid song."

Jesus, this was hopeless. Letting a deep breath slowly slip through my teeth, I ran my fingers through my hair and looked at the time.

Two hours of work and little to show for it.

What is wrong with me? This used to be so easy!

Setting my acoustic to the side, I figured it was time to head to my photoshoot. If I was late again, I was sure my manager would murder me.

Texting Harry, my driver, I took out my keys and locked the door to my apartment. By the time the elevator brought me down to the lobby, he was already idling outside the door.

Slipping quickly into the back seat, I closed the door behind me and nodded that I was ready to go.

Peering out the window tiredly, my eyes slid over the steady stream of pedestrians.

A part of me was envious of them. I missed being an anonymity in a sea of faces. Now I could hardly go anywhere without eyes and cameras following me. Hell, if any of them had a clue I was in this car, they'd probably ambush it.

I became lost in my thoughts after that, and all too soon, I was forced back into reality. The car came to a stop in front of my destination, and I was tempted to ask Harry to drive a few more laps before letting me out.

"Here you are, Mr. King," his words seemed to seal my fate. I could sense the relief in his tone when he saw there were no reporters waiting for me. Harry was getting older, even if he didn't like to admit it, and pushing through gossip mongers and media rats wasn't exactly his favorite pass time.

"Thanks, Harry," I sighed as I opened up my door and stepped onto the empty sidewalk.

I closed the car door behind me, cutting off my only chance at escape, and turned to face the building. It was a towering skyscraper, so tall that if you looked straight up it'd feel as though you were falling backwards. I tended not to look up often in the city, since it made me dizzy, but every once in a while, I'd peer up at the sky just to catch a glimpse of the ominous structures looming over me.

I was recognized as soon as I entered the lobby, and before I even had a chance to state my name and purpose, I was led into the elevator by an official looking man in a grey suit.