12

Chapter 12 : Where They Travel

"Everything has beauty,
but not everyone sees it."
- Confucius

It was Saturday morning when the decathlon team from Midtown High stood next to a ready to leave for Washington D

It was Saturday morning when the decathlon team from Midtown High stood next to a ready to leave for Washington D.C. The kids were talking as they waited for the remaining members to arrive, they all stood together talking excitedly about the trip . The only two who weren't talking were two teenage girls sitting in the steps a few feet away from the rest of the team, one was lost on her book while the other one was lost in her music, both girls in their own little world where no one bothered them.

Ember sat there with closed eyes listening to her music as the memory of a certain young boy hunted her mind. Her mind went from trying to picture the exact brown of his eyes to the way he managed to make her laugh with just a single thought. The blonde hadn't even realized how far she had drifted away until someone pulled her right headphone.

"Didn't you hear anything?" asked Michelle as Ember put her headphones away. The blonde only shook her head indicating her friend she had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. Michelle let out a frustrated sigh, carefully closing her book. "Mr. Harrington said we're almost leaving and that we're taking a group picture"

The blonde groaned as her tall best friend dragged her to the side of the bis were all the team was getting ready for the picture. Michelle looked like taking a picture was the last thing she wanted, and Ember very much agreed with her, but it wasn't like either of them had a choice. The whole team gathered around, Ember trying to hide in the back only for Betty to call her out and moving her to the very front, where the shorter kids were. The blonde girl just put in a fake smile as the torture went on, they took around five pictures because Liz claimed she didn't look good enough.

"You're hair looks fine Liz, can we just go now?" Flash exclaimed quite annoyed as Liz asked Betty for a sixth shot, and for once in her life Ember actually agreed with him. Finally, the senior decided to let them go as Mr. Harrington began loading the trunk.

"Finally! My mouth was starting to hurt" Michelle complained as she reached Ember "Smiling is hard you know?"

Ember rolled her eyes at her friend's comment "Please, you barely smiled"

Michelle shrugged, holding her book tight to her chest "So how did it go with Peter last night?"

"Seriously, you went out with Penis Parker?" Flash cut in their conversation before the blonde had a chance to answer "I always thought he had a thing for Liz. I mean have you seen the way he looks at her"

"Unlike you I don't stalk Peter twenty four seven Flash" Ember said through gritted teeth. Of course she had noticed the way Peter stared at Liz, she hated those stares, those were the kind of things that reminded her that her feelings will never be reciprocated.