Chapter 6

“The world is not a wish-granting factory.”  - The Fault in Our Stars, in theatres now!

Chapter Six

If before, Chaise was pestering me, pretending to be cute and teasing me around school, he was now staying away from me.  I could still see him watch me during lunch or on the grounds when he was hanging out with some friends and I happen to pass by.  I couldn’t make out the expression on his face.  He looked genuinely hurt… and pissed.

I didn’t have to guess why.  Of all the girls to reject him?  Me?  Scar-faced?  Monster?  I’ll bet he didn’t see that coming.

“Did you do something to Chaise?”  Denise asked me one time during lunch.  I was sitting with her at the far corner of the cafeteria.  Chaise was in the center table with all the other popular boys and girls.

When I looked at Chaise, he was staring at me.  He was wearing a red jacket over his hooded sweater.  His expression was still the same as two days ago when I last talked to him at the shop.  He looked like his ego was badly beaten up.

I stared at Denise for a while and then I shrugged.

“You know… ever since he came to school, he was always looking at you.  He looked really interested.”

“Seriously?”  I asked Denise.  “Have you looked at my face lately?”

Denise rolled her eyes.  “Yes!  And I say you’re pretty!  Prettier than most girls in this school.  Prettier than Chelsea and her gang.  And they didn’t have the scars you have.”

“Exactly!  I have ugly scars, which make me ugly.”

Denise sighed.  “You’re beautiful, Alice.  And when you cover your scars with your hair like that… no one would actually guess you weren’t flawless over there.”  She said.  “Chaise must have seen what I am seeing.  Don’t you want to give him a chance?  Wasn’t he nice enough to help you out with your job at his Aunt’s shop?  Maybe he really does like you.”

I shook my head.  Honestly, I really don’t get Chaise.  How could he want to help me out?  How could he say he was interested in me?  And how could he steal a kiss from me?  What the hell is wrong with him?

“It’s still that guy, isn’t it?”  Denise asked, looking at my necklace.  “H?”

I looked down at my pendant and remembered Hunter.  Yes.  It will always be Hunter.

“You don’t know what happened to him.”  Denise said.  “Maybe he’s not coming back.  Has he even called you since he left?  Emailed or snail-mailed you?  If he’s serious about making you wait, he would have at least given you hope that you are waiting for something.”

I bit my lip.  I hate to admit it, but sometimes, I think Denise has a point.  Where is Hunter?  If he had a treatment, or a transplant, it would have healed by now.  If it was unsuccessful, then he would have returned to the center.  And if he’s back, he would have called me, right?  After all, Meredith’s contact numbers are still there.  He has a way of reaching me.  But I had no way of reaching him.  Has he given up on me?  On us?

“Maybe it’s time you give some other guy a chance.”  Denise said.  “What if Chaise was serious about you?  What if he was sincere?  He knows about your scars… and he’s still making an effort to reach out to you.  Don’t you think that’s reason enough to give him… a chance?  Just get to know him at least?”

“I don’t think so, Denise.”  I said.  “I don’t think I’d be dating soon.”

“You won’t.”  Denise said sadly.  “Because you weren’t even trying.  Because your boyfriend… who may never come back… still lives in you.  You’re not even giving another guy a chance.  I hope you think about this.  Before it’s too late.”