:: Chapter One ::

Chapter One

She let her head rest on his shoulder, closing her eyes and ignoring everything around her. "Come on, Sophie, we're supposed to be back at your house now."

"But this is peaceful," she argued, keeping her eyes closed. 

Fitz let out a soft groan and pushed her off. "Come on, we can't be late. Your list should be getting in soon. You're usually all excited about it!"

She let her eyes open and meet his blue ones. "I know, but it's just too real now. Like, it's a big deal. For all of us, we all applied to get ours. It's just, everyone was waiting for mine to arrive to open them and you're all excited to find out who's on your lists and it's-"

"Sophie, you need to calm down. You think too much." 

"It's better than not thinking at all," she retorted before letting out a loud sigh. "I guess we do need to get going, though. You're lucky." She narrowed her eyes playfully before letting him help her up. "Who do you think is going to be on your list?" She questioned as they made the small walk back to her home that she shared with her adopted parents, Grady and Edaline. 

"I'm trying not to think too much into it, I want to be surprised," he told her, smiling. 

She nodded and got lost in thoughts of all the different people who could appear on her list. They made it back to her house where Edaline immediately began to usher her in. "Sophie, I swear to the heavens you said you'd be back inside five minutes ago!"

Sophie laughed at her adopted mother's antics. "It's fine, mom. We were just hanging by Calla's tree," she informed. "Why, is something up?"

"Why, only this." Edaline held up a scroll in her hands. "The first batch of names. That means it's time for everyone to open them, right?" 

Sophie nodded, biting her lip. "Well, it's kind of late. I think I'll wait to tell everyone tomorrow," she said, looking to Fitz as she said it. 

He nodded. "It's all good. I'll tell my sister when I get back to my house. I'm pretty sure she's hanging out with Dex, Tam, and Linh right now so I can tell them at the same time." 

"That sounds good," she said. "I'll call Marella to tell her and Keefe's supposed to come over for dinner tonight so I can tell him then."

"How is Keefe, by the way?" Fitz asked awkwardly. "I haven't talked to him in about two weeks."

Sophie's eyes widened. "What?" 

"Yeah, it's just we're both busy and not as close as we used to be," he stated looking uncomfortable. "We got into a small argument and it's been a bit weird, but don't worry yourself. It's not your problem and you know how we both are, we'll get over it pretty soon." 

Sophie reluctantly gave him a small nod and leaned in to hug him. "Bye, Fitz. See you tomorrow." He gave her and Edaline a small wave and shouted a quick goodbye loud enough for Grady to hear before exiting the house. Sophie turned around to see Edaline giving her a knowing look. "Okay, just say it." 

"I have nothing to say." Edaline continued to stare at her knowingly, making Sophie uncomfortable. 

"Really, mom? Just let it out." 

Edaline gave out a soft melodic laugh, pulling Sophie into a hug. Sophie returned it, confused. "I just want you to know I'm proud of the woman you've grown into and I look forward to being here for you in the future." 

"Um, mom, are you okay?" Sophie pulled back worriedly. 

"Okay, then, if someone doesn't want attention," Edaline joked. 

"Who doesn't want attention?" Grady asked, walking into the room and giving Edaline a quick kiss on the cheek. 

"Your daughter," Edaline explained. "I was just trying to be a nice mom." 

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Okay, does this have to do with me getting my scroll?" She asked. 

"You got your scroll?" Grady asked, sitting up in interest. 

Sophie nodded. "Yes, but it doesn't change anything. Life will go on just as normal as it already did. The only difference it makes is now I'll know who I can marry without being even more ridiculed than I already am."

"Oh, Sophie, don't say that," Edaline immediately jumped in to disagree. "You know it's not like that anymore." She then walked quickly into the kitchen where a plate of mallowmelt lied waiting to be eaten. Sophie reached to grab one but was immediately swatted away. "You can wait until Keefe gets here," Edaline instructed. 

Sophie groaned. "Why does he always have to ruin everything?" 

"Aw, there's the Foster I know and love," Keefe remarked, walking in. "Sorry, I let myself in. Hope you guys don't mind." 

"It's fine," Edaline dismissed him, waving her hand. "Mallowmelt?" 

"Always," he said, grabbing one. Sophie and Grady immediately dived in for their own. 

"So how are things going for you, Keefe? Anything new?" 

He shook his head. "Same old. My dad's been driving me up the wall, but that's normal." Edaline nodded, avoiding asking about his mom. 

"I heard from Sophie you've started selling artwork," Edaline started conversation. 

He and Sophie shared a brief smile before he immediately dove into an explanation of his new artwork business and how it was a career completely underrated in the Elvin community. Sophie watched Keefe the entire time he passionately talked and she couldn't stop herself from grinning. 

Her mind traveled back to a year before when her and Fitz had gotten through their cognitive training when she finally told the secret she was holding back. On the forefront of her mind she thought it was her crush on Fitz she was holding back, but in the end she admitted it was actually Keefe. It was embarrassing for both of them, especially since Fitz had revealed feelings for her, but they had reached a new and better point in their friendship since then and she wouldn't have it any other way. Many believed that her and Fitz were dating, especially because it was revealed Fitz and Sophie were officially cognates, and to help hide the fact she actually had a crush on Keefe, she decided that rumors were only rumors anyways. 

By the time Keefe finished explaining his new work the mallowmelt was long gone and Edaline was working on a new batch. "So, Keefe, did you know that Sophie's matchmaking scroll made it in?" Grady questioned. 

"No, I wasn't informed," he replied, looking at Sophie. 

She shrugged in response. "I just found out before you got here. Everyone is going to meet here tomorrow to open them. Are you busy then?" 

He shook his head. "No way I'm missing out on meeting with everyone. We barely ever get together with all of us. It'll be fun, I miss everyone. Am I the only one who doesn't know?" 

Sophie shook her head. "I've got to call Marella after this to tell her," she said before asking, "When do you have to be back?" 

"Whenever you decide I need to leave," he answered. 

"Well, don't stay too late since you're just coming back tomorrow," she told him. "Oh!" She suddenly remembered something. "Dex dyed Iggy again! Want to see?" She pulled Keefe from his chair and dragged him away. 

"I tell you, it's going to happen," Edaline whispered to Grady, grinning. 

"And I told you we're not betting on it, my love."

---

chapter questions! (bringing them back lmao)

1. what are you looking forward to in this book?

2. when is the best time of day for me to update for you? (include timezone)

3. what do you think so far?