Diplomacy

I found the dress.  It’s one of those shiny materials that looks like two colors depending on the light.  Dark blue/black with clear rhinestones, like stars, scattered across the full, floor length skirt.  It was sealed in a dry cleaning bag in the back of my closet, I took it out because I just couldn’t believe my eyes— it still smelled like smoke. 

It wasn’t a dream. I did punch Usurper, right in the gut as he was gloating, with the clubhouse on fire behind us, Watchman standing behind me, police and fireman every where.  All of us, we were just part of this crowd of witnesses that had been in a terrible incident.  With some effort I found a newspaper article reporting about an explosion at an exclusive L.A. clubhouse.  Pieces of several explosive devices were found and due to the kinds of guests, foul play is suspected but there were never any arrests. 

The other boy that was there, he was real too.  I thought maybe at first he was a plant.  Some sort of stupid test set up by Warlike, but I don’t think he was.  I have no way of ever knowing for sure, but I can’t let them get to me.  They don’t control everything, just a very small part.  “Defender of men” from Westchester County whose father works for the UN, I’m sorry if either of you were hurt, I wish we could have talked longer.  I wish I had escaped, we could have been friends.  I would have secretly lived in your family pool house.  Only you, the gardener, and me would know I was there.

Is that something I can want?  Is that so wrong?  Friends and free time. I have no choices here; it’s do or die.  Desire is a dangerous thing. I think it’s safe to say it’s gotten me in trouble before.