First day.

Chapter 8 - First day

The shrill and persistent buzz of my alarm clock was my greeting in the morning and woke me up from my pleasant and deep slumber. Rubbing my eyes to get rid of my sleepy haze, I reached for my phone on the table next to my bed to check the time. The bright light made me cower away and shut my eyes trying to stop them from stinging but unenthusiastically, I opened one eye to look at the time . It was six o’clock in the morning and I wanted to turn over and go straight back to sleep. I still had two hours to get ready and finish up with all my daily stuff I now had to condense into my hours around the ones I would be spent working. Weirdly enough, that gave me a buzz, I actually had a purpose for my day, I dragged myself out from my warm and comforting cocoon and went to the shower to start the process of waking myself up. 

I turned the taps on and allowed the shower to get warm as I took my pyjamas off so when I walked in, a warm blanket of warmth would encapsulate me. Deep, I know but I was trying to take in all the details of my morning as I prepped for my first day. I was trying to be as observant as possible so when I got to work I would absorb my new surrounds and pay attention to all the little details.

My phone buzzed as soon as I walked out the shower so with a towel wrapped around me, I picked up the phone and saw an unknown number.

“Hello?” I said distractedly as I tried to keep my towel around my body and get out of the bathroom, thinking about what I wanted to wear that was suitable. My multi-tasking skill was put to the test, I can tell you that. 

“Good morning,” a deep voice spoke and to be honest, couldn’t say it was very familiar. I had, after all, only been awake for fifteen minutes.

“Who is this?” I asked, curious to know who was awake at quarter past six in the morning and expected me up at that time as well.

“Hi Erica, it is me, Roner. This is my personal number.” He explained.

“Oh, hey Roner. Sorry, I didn’t recognise the number or your voice, I am still half asleep.” I said feeling slightly guilty that I didn’t even remember his voice when it was only yesterday that we spoke. 

“That’s ok, don’t worry about it. I was just making sure that you were coming today otherwise Mr. Manhattan  would send me to your place to pick him up.” He chucked and it was nice to hear him laugh after our conversation yesterday. I would not put it past Xavier to make Roner come and collect me so I let that slide, realising that he was actually very serious about me working there for him.

“Thanks, Roner, that is really sweet of you,” I gushed, starting to feel excited about what was to come today and to meet Roner.

“Pleasure is mine. Well, my job is done now so I guess I will see you today. Just a word of warning, try and be punctual, Mr.Manhattan does not like people being late,” he replied.

“Yeah, thank you, he did tell me when he offered me the job. See you later on, Roner.” I said.

“Bye Erica. And call me Ron, Roner is very formal.” I couldn’t help but feel elated that he was asking me to call him Ron. I felt accepted and grateful that he felt that he could trust me. 

“Sure, bye, Ron,” I grinned before I hung up. He seemed really sweet, wish I could say the same for Xavier.

Walking to my wardrobe, I realised I had to look for something suitable for work and that would give him no reason to think I was a prostitute. Not that anything I wear made me look like I was someone who had sex in return for money, but that was besides the point apparently for Mr.manhattan. I ended up choosing a dark blue, formal looking dress that I thought complimented my curves perfectly. I didn’t feel comfortable, in all honesty, due to the last incident and I did not want a repeat of it. No deja vu, please. I felt like I had to be cautious from now on, especially when it came to my dress sense. Even if it meant being covered from head toe.

After that, I applied my makeup and curled my hair gently. Taking another look at myself in the mirror, I sighed trying to ease some tension that had started to creep up and was becoming evident in my features. I smiled to my reflection to inject some positivity into my thoughts, feeling satisfied with what I saw and I looked at my watch, seeing it was already seven o’clock already.  

Mentally prepping myself, I walked down to the kitchen in my navy heels and promised myself I would try and enjoy today, giving every task my all so even if Xavier did not like me as a person, he would not be able to complain about my standard of work. 

“Hey Mum,” I said to her whilst sorting out my handbag, making sure I had the essentials for the day.

“Hey Eri, are you ready for your new job?” She asked nervously. I knew she was nervous because she was playing with her hair and her hands and this started to make me anxious.

“Yeah mum, calm down, would you? I will do my best,” I said trying to cool her but mostly to chill out myself.

“I know, I trust you and I know you will do fantastically but it is your first job. By the way, you never told me, where are you working? I mean, which company?” She asked.

Oh shit. Fuck. All the curse words came flooding into my mind.

Here comes the crappy part which I had been successful in avoiding until now. I can’t tell her that I worked for Xavier, she would freak out, then probably explode at me for taking the job, not like I had much choice, and then probably she would call the police on him.

I am officially screwed.