Too Nice

Emmanuelle Winter is known for being a nice girl. She runs one of the best bakeries in the state, she makes everyone around her smile, she does volunteer work, and she is a nearly perfect example of the Christmas spirit. But it seems that being 'too nice' is a problem according to her rather new boyfriend who just dumped her. But Elle is fine with that, she won't let him get in the way of her enjoying the most wonderful time of the year. But the moment Forest Claus comes into her bakery and starts eating her chocolate chip cookies, she knows she'll turn into a Grinch at some point. With his well-groomed beard, tatted arms and hands, and the red velvet suit that should make him look ridiculous but is very classy and suave it is hard to believe he'll be the next Santa Claus. Yes. Santa exists, but it's more of a title that goes to the chosen heir of a specific bloodline; the Claus bloodline. There is also a festive village in the North Pole. That's where Elle and Forest grew up together. But Elle wanted to make even the smallest bit of difference by helping people outside the village. But Forest not only wants her to come home, but to become his. And Elle may be too nice to deny him...or it could be she wants him too.

~~~~~~~ Excerpt~~~~~~~

"You're too nice, Em."

Emmanuelle stared blankly at her, now former, boyfriend, John. She couldn't find it in herself to be hurt by the sudden break up since they've been together what...two weeks? The first week had been pleasant, but then the second he started being passive aggressive, distant and annoying with the constant "We're dating so we should be having sex" argument. He might have been right, but she wasn't ready and part of her didn't really want to. Maybe she rushed into this relationship because she was excited to have a boyfriend during the holidays. Actually, that's probably exactly why she agreed to date him. Now she regretted it, but at least it's over now. But what did he mean by-

"Too nice?" She asked, not really knowing what he meant. He shrugged in a manner that looked pompous.

"It's exactly as it sounds. You're too nice. Too sweet. I mean you work at a bakery, you do volunteer work that takes up time you could be spending with your boyfriend, you are way too into the whole 'Christmas spirit' thing. And worst of all, you don't challenge me on anything. It's boring. Even Jessica could challenge me." John stated as if that was the perfect reason to dump her.

First of all, the bakery 'she worked at' was her own business. A business that she started with her amazing baked goods and a particularly popular investor. Second, she thoroughly enjoyed her volunteering at libraries to read to children and providing food for soup kitchens. Even if it was a small difference Emmanuelle was happy to help. And whenever she and John did spend time together it was spent with her cooking or reading and John on his computer or watching television. Spending time together was barely any different from spending time apart.

Third, damn straight she had Christmas spirit. She was born and raised in a literal Christmas village where there was magic in every action, doing something nice was common sense, and everyone had something to contribute to the happiness of the world. Just because she moved from there to New York doesn't mean she forgot the true meaning of Christmas. Finally, Emmanuelle had no idea what that meant. Challenge him? Did he mean have random arguments that attribute to nothing? John has always been a passive guy and Emmanuelle is always open to compromise and they rarely had small talk that lead to some type of debate, so there was never a need to challenge each other.

Also, Jessica was John's ex-girlfriend and whenever he talked about her he described her as a angry bitch who fought with him on everything they did from date plans to the type of dish soap he used. So, from that logic he didn't want someone to fight with him but he wanted someone to argue with him?

Emmanuelle mentally sighed as she took a sip of her too watered down hot chocolate. She resisted the urge to spit it out at him. Leave it to John to dump her at a cliché coffee shop that sold fancy coffee beverages but terrible hot chocolate and pastries.

"Well if that's all you have to say John then I'll be leaving. The cinnamon rolls that I need to put in the oven at the bakery are a high priority. Have a good holiday and I'm sorry this didn't work out." She replied.

And with that she left feeling significantly lighter than she did going into the shop. Maybe she should have felt some sadness or even some guilt since she has been wanting this relationship to end for a few days. But she really couldn't find it in herself to do so. She came up with a wonderful new sugar cookie recipe that she couldn't wait to start selling.