4 {The Ding-Dong Ditch}

Mum walks back down the stairs.

She turns to me. "You know what? F this. I'm not going!"

I laugh at her expression. "What do you suggest we do now then?"

She looks around trying to think of something to occupy the time. She swings round to look at me. A grin on her face and a certain sparkle in her eye.

"We're going to have some fun."

She runs outside and I have no choice but to follow her.

"Mum what are you doing?" I laugh hysterically at my, completely sober, mother who's acting like a drunk teen.

"We're going to play a game!" She smiles and skips on the spot.

"Which is...?" I smile at her suddenly joyous attitude.

"Why, ding-dong ditch of course." She takes off to one of the houses in our street and I follow behind trying to silence my giggles so no one comes outside.

We stand at the front door of a complete strangers.

"Someone's gonna see us," I tell her.

"No they won't." Mum argues and hits the doorbell before running off and hiding behind a hedge.

I'm too late to react and I'm still standing at the door when a middle aged woman opens it.

My eyes widen, what the hell do I do now?

"Uh, hello. Is Karen here?" I make up.

"Um no. I think you have the wrong house." The woman replies sweetly.

"Okay Thankyou." I smile before turning away and walking across the lawn to my mother. Once the door has shut she springs out of the hedge.

"Way to ruin it! You're supposed to be gone when they open the door." Mum whines.

"No crap." I reply. "I swear Mum, someone's going to end up pissed at us."

"Oh shush. You're not the fun police!"

I shake my head and sigh. As they say, if you can't beat em, join em.

"Who next?" I ask smiling.

Mum has a look of pride on her face when she points to a house across the street.

"I've heard the man that lives there is a real hard-ass." She explains and we walk over.

"Probably not the best idea then."

"It'll be fine." Mum continues on.

This time I find a hiding spot and Mum rings the doorbell alone. She hurries back to me and giggles.

An old man opens the door. He's wearing a white singlet which is tucked into his ridiculously high pants. His hunched back is noticeable and he walks out and looks to see who was there. With a look of annoyance he goes back inside and I see him open up the curtain and peer out to double check no one was there.

Once he's safely returned to his dark cave of a house Mum and I rush off to another one.

After many more houses Mum seems to be satisfied with her efforts and we head back home.

"How was that?" I ask her as we're walking up our driveway.

"Pretty good. Only got caught twice!"

I laugh and we head inside.

Hours later we hear a knock at our door. I jump up to go get it. When I open the door to no one I know that some one is obviously just repaying us for our ding-dong ditching marathon earlier. I walk out and as I turn back to the door I see a yellow piece of paper attached.

Eviction Notice. Must evict premise by April 23rd.

Oh shit. That isn't good.