p a s t

Cleo = Italics

"I heard your voicemails

"I heard your voicemails." Cleo's voice did not shake as she imagined it would. In her mind she had pictured a mess of splintered words and fractured sentences. 

The dilemma had been bothering her for some time now. 

She knew that he knew that they were tiptoeing around one another. Each of them had been startled at the thought of truly knowing someone. Of someone truly understanding them. Of someone shining a light in order to straighten out their dark and twisted souls. They both understood that in order for a person to mend a heart the saviour  had to know everything about the corroded organ. 

Without the knowledge it was a doctor working on an operation whilst blindfolded.

For all of their conversations all they had done was avoid, hibernating in a tangled web of fantasy, never truly willing to face the problem. 

It had been so much easier with no face to put the words to.

Now, the thin layer of glass that they had both built to protect their hearts had shattered. As of now, they were both in the stage of fear, both too afraid to take a step forward for paranoia of cutting themselves on the glass shards.

No longer.

Cleo was willing to step out of her comfort zone into Shane's. Without the brave action the entire relationship was pointless. Taking away full openness from a partnership was like taking the wheels from a car; it would go nowhere. 

She had been stupid to believe that a few little cuts were worth the protection of an ozone layer.

It was time to take that final leap of faith. It was time to acknowledge and accept the past. That kind of recognition would be the only thing that could finally allow both of them to move onto the future of Lost Boy and Super-girl.