Finals || Til Death Do Us Part

The eve of the finals approach, and Florence Fanta sighs in contempt as she watches the billboard in the Capitol. The faces of the semi-finalists shine bright upon it, the rankings appear in front of her eyes, but as she receives updates from headquarters, her orange eyes glower with the fire that could be her trademark had bright orange not been. The top two favourites to win were out, the top two were out and now there were three tributes left.

She didn’t bother with an announcement to the tributes, they knew what to do.

Congratulations, Starling Hayes, Evelyn Grey, and our final contestant, Coral Isla. Sansa Nélisse and Lukas Hallows, you both have been such fantastic competitors, and the Capitol is sad to see you go.

Florence Fanta turns away. It can either be the underdog from Four, the little girl from Ten, or another victor from twelve. How pathetic, Florence thinks. This’ll get her fired for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your tribute has won. They’ve grown old- how many years has it been since they won? 10? 20? Probably 25 years, but they don’t bother counting. Within those years, they’ve had to watch as their tributes went in and died, and the mentors never really remained normal anymore.

The task? After twenty five years, they’ve had enough. Throughout the years, they’ve succumbed to what they used to jeer at- they’ve taken up some form of substance or alcohol or gone crazy or whatever they’ve done to remain alive. They’ve seen children younger, children older than them, go into the arena. They grew to love them.

And now? After twenty five years, the victors are alone. Their family is not here, gone, disappeared, dead- maybe they were never there. They’ve had enough of watching tributes die for other’s entertainment.

So now, as the eve of their twenty fifth anniversary of their games, and also the last day of the Games for the tributes they are mentoring, they decide to do something with their life- but what do they choose to do? Die? Survive? Watch with hope as their own tribute, so much like themselves, get out? Or are they too far-gone to notice?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CONGRATULATIONS TRIBUTES, you have worked long and hard to get where you are now. Welcome to finals! To recap, finalists are:

Coral Isla, of District Four.

Starling Hayes, of District Ten.

Evelyn Grey, of District Twelve.

THE TASK: Read the description above, hopefully I made it clear enough. But the entry must be twenty five years later. It’s the final day of the annual Games, and your District’s tribute and your ment-ee are in the finals. Your tribute has spiralled into some sort of insanity after their games. Now what happens when they see a tribute so much like themselves in the finals? You may include flashbacks, drugs, whatever floats your boat. Also, angst is totally welcome. Your entry can end however you want- your tribute may die, they may watch their own tribute, you could even end it with them finally losing sanity or seeing a child of theirs, it’s up to you.

WORD LIMIT: None, but this is finals, and people are voting, so make it good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember, I am no longer marking these entries- the public will be!

DUE DATE: SUNDAY MAY 25, 2014 AT 5PM EDT, or as soon as I get all entries.

Rules for voting will be posted as a separate chapter later. Entries will be posted at specific time intervals in order they were received.

Anything I’m missing or have any questions? Comment below.