Chapter 37 - Lasya sees the painting

Navaratri: An Indian festival in the honour of supreme mother Goddess.

---***---

"Hello Vennu baby. How was your Kerala trip?" Lasya asked Vennela.

"You're in Hyderabad? Why?" Vennela asked her.

"To meet you, of course. I'm on vacation. The Navaratri starts this Friday" said Lasya.

"Navaratri? Why didn't anyone tell me? Who will make all the arrangements for pooja?" Vennela panicked.

"I made all the arrangements. Amma instructed me through video call. She asked me to keep the pooja simple this time." Anirudh welcomed her inside.

Surya waved at Vennela. "Hello Vennela. How are you?"

"I'm good bava garu." She asked a servant to offer refreshments to the guests. "You met Prakash uncle and Nanditha aunty?" 

"Yes. He still hasn't forgiven me for stealing his daughter away. Thank God, he didn't hit me." Surya smiled. "Hey Amar. How are you man?" 

"Fine bro." They exchanged fist bumps.

"What are you two doing here? Don't you have to study for exams?" Vennela asked Rishi-Raj.

"Exams are two weeks away" said Raj.

"Engineering students open text books only a day before the exam" said Rishi.

"You should see Shruthi akka. She is wasting time binge watching TV shows" Raj sat down beside Vennela.

"Rishikesh and Rajat. You are in first year. You can enjoy once you are in second year. Study well now" said Vennela.

"Who are Rishikesh and Rajat?" Amar asked her.

"We" said Raj pointing at himself and Rishi. "You don't know our full names?"

"Of course, I know. I just forgot." Amar lied. He never knew Rishi and Raj are short forms of their full names.

"How could you forget? After all the things we have been through." Rishi faked hurt. 

"You two have peculiar names..."

"Lasya akka. Take me to my room. Their funny fights will take a lot of time. They met after two weeks" said Vennela. Lasya took her to her room. 

"It's too cool. Give me my gloves. They are in the closet." Vennela pointed at the closet. Lasya went to get the gloves. She observed a painting hidden behind the closet. She pulled it out.

"Vennu. This is beautiful. Who made this?" Lasya pointed at the painting.

"It's nothing. Put it away. Did you get my gloves?" Vennela tried to change the topic.

"You made this. Didn't you? I recognize your style. I like the theme. So simple. Yet so impressive. Who did you paint this for?" 

"Don't tell anyone. Promise me you won't." Vennela forwarded her hand. Lasya placed her palm on Vennela's and promised her.

"I wanted to surprise Amar with this painting. The couple is the painting is us. He gave me lotus flowers the day after our wedding." Vennela blushed.

"How romantic!" Lasya exclaimed. "What is this doing behind the closet then?"

"Actually, I wanted to confess my feelings by gifting this painting. I even prepared a speech."

"What stopped you?" 

"I ended up quarreling with him which resulted in this accident. If only the accident didn't happen. I would have told him how much I love him." Vennela smiled sadly.