23 - June 30th (Continued)

Start from the beginning

She crawled to the head of the bed and slid back under the covers before patting the bed and smiling at Melanie. Melanie looked at Geri, then stared fearfully at the empty space on the bed she was indicating. "There's nothing to be worried of," Geri assured her. "I won't touch you."

She watched sadly as Melanie began shaking once again, still staring at the bed. Penny had told the girls earlier that Melanie hadn't willingly slept in a bed since she'd arrived. They always ended up finding her curled up in a corner on the floor of her room. Geri thought for a moment before getting out of bed to retrieve the extra duvet from the cupboard.

Melanie flinched as Geri walked by, but Geri didn't touch her. She watched as Geri placed a few pillows on the floor next to the bed and covered them with the duvet to add a bit of padding to the floor. She smiled at Melanie and motioned toward the nest she'd created.

"Would this be better?" she asked as she crawled back into bed. Melanie looked at her curiously and leaned over to look at the makeshift nest. Geri softly coaxed Melanie over and convinced her to curl up on the floor next to her before covering Melanie with a blanket. Melanie watched as Geri leaned back against her headboard and turned on the TV to watch a few late night talk shows before bed.

Melanie stared at the TV for a few moments, occasionally glancing at Geri who was watching the TV and laughing softly with the punchlines. After a while, Melanie relaxed against the pillows, making herself comfortable and pulling the blanket taut.

"Do you want me to turn the telly off so you can sleep?" Geri asked, turning to look at Melanie who shrugged a non-committal response.

It was obvious that Melanie was tired, so Geri turned off the TV and dimmed the lamp, not letting it get completely dark in the room. She turned on her side, facing Melanie, and she cuddled into her pillow, then smiled at Melanie before closing her eyes.

Melanie rolled onto her side, turning her back to Geri and staring at the door leading to the hallway. The noise outside had finally died down as the other patrons of the hotel began to turn in for the night. She sighed and looked back at the door leading to her own room, shivering at the dark void beyond the threshold.

She sat up, still looking over at the door, and walked apprehensively back toward her own room. Geri sighed sadly, assuming Melanie had been too uncomfortable to stay. She didn't stop her, knowing it was best to let Melanie do what made her most comfortable. She watched as Melanie peeked into her room, tentatively clutched the doorknob, then closed and locked the door before making her way back over to her nest. She settled back under the blanket and allowed herself to relax enough to fall asleep, still keeping her back to Geri.

-0-0-

Geri woke abruptly and sat up to look around the room. She looked at the clock next to the bed, reading 4:30am, and turned on the bedside lamp. Melanie was in the bed with her. Once she had been sure Melanie had fallen asleep, Geri had gotten the girls' bodyguard, Andy, to lift Melanie off the floor and put her in bed where she'd be more comfortable.

Melanie groaned and kicked Geri again, caught in the throes of a nightmare. Geri frowned and looked Melanie over. She was sweating and breathing quickly as she continued to thrash around in her sleep.

Geri pushed her blankets aside and knelt next to Melanie, placing her hand gently on Melanie's arm. Sandra and Penny had insisted the night terrors were nothing to worry about and that they would go away once Melanie felt safe.

"Melanie, it's Geri," she said softly. "Everything's all right. You're not with Otis anymore, darling."

"No!" Melanie whimpered.