XXIX. Thorne of Events

Three years ago...

Ysabella was due to depart with her husband for their honeymoon, thus Ralph was in earnest to have a word with his sister.

After she said her farewells to their mother and their siblings, he cautiously approached her. Clearing his throat, he uttered, "A word, Ysa."

Ysabella's brows were arched high in curiosity when she turned to face him, a smile on her lips. The besotted fool had finally succeeded in shackling the most notorious rakehell in Wickhurst. Of course she was triumphant! "Yes, brother?"

He cleared his throat again. "About your friend from Blucksley—"

"Oh, please, I have been warned about this," she said with a wave of her hand. "No, Ralph, I shall not divulge any information."

His eyes rounded in disbelief. "You have been warned? By whom?"

Ysabella shrugged. "Emma, among others. Now, do not pretend that you have not bugged them about our dear friend. I am aware that you have been going around asking about her. I am not the first person to yield, brother."

"But what is there to keep? She is no criminal, is she?"

Ysabella chuckled. "Well, she is a very private person. That is all I can say. Unless she gives us the freedom to talk about her, I can say no more."

Ralph fumed.

His sister had a mischievous look on her face which turned into a mocking pity. "Forget her, Ralph. She is not one you can easily dally with. Go and be with your mistresses. I am sure they can help mend your slightly broken pride."

"Broken pride?"

"Yes. Do not say it is your heart that is broken because I know you. You are not one who falls in love. She is merely the first female who made it quite difficult for you, thus your broken pride." Ysabella reached out to tap his shoulder. "It shall pass, brother."

With a wink, Ysabella turned to join her husband and their family.

*****

"Sophia."

Sophia did not utter a word, but when she heard Durley's voice, Ralph witnessed the first beautiful thing since their entire journey down the facility.

He knew Sophia was almost blind and could merely see shadows, but her pale olive eyes spoke the most. They rounded with disbelief, watered with relief and reflected the love and longing she had for her brother. And Sophia was also smart. She dared not speak a word of anything that may give them away. And she knew her eyes would betray her for she bent her head, her shoulders shaking in silent tears as her hands tightly gripped the iron bars.

As Durley's half-sister to his father's colored slave, Sophia was half-white, half-colored. And she was beautiful. Nicholas was never lacking in praises where his fiancé's beauty was concerned and Ralph could certainly agree. Yet now, Ralph could not see the same woman who had graced the Everard mansion more than a year past. She was wearing naught but rags, her once-beautiful skin covered with grime and her dark, curly hair a wild mess.

Ralph knew right then that it was the best decision to have not brought Nicholas along for one look at Sophia and his brother would have killed the two guards with his own two hands.

"Release her," Durley ordered, his voice cold and murderous, his eyes not leaving his sister.

"My lord, we were given orders not to—"