New Eden (Chapter 30)

Instead of executing Clutch, Hodge nodded to one of his men who raised his rifle and slammed it down on Clutch's head from behind. He collapsed into a pile. Tears fell down my cheeks, and I realized the leader was watching me with keen interest.

"You're a bastard," I said simply, the ice in my body having given way to boiling hatred.

He smiled broadly. "You see," he said. "I keep the ones with something to lose. It's entertaining the things I can make them do to try to save each other. I think I'll have fun with both of you."

Never, I thought to myself.

"Boss," one of the men said. "They're coming up fast."

He looked toward the bridge, before turning to his men. "Get the rest inside. We'll finish later. We have to get changed before the squadron arrives."

"On your feet," one of the bandits ordered, waving his gun at us.

Clutch was just coming to with a groan, and I helped drag him up. The back of his head had a wet spot from an open gash. I slid his arm over my shoulder. His skin was freezing cold. Deb came up and grabbed his other arm. The bandits rushed everyone back into the store and back to our small campsite. The seven small grills still had glowing embers from last night's fires.

Deb and I helped Clutch onto his sleeping bag, and I wrapped my bag around his shoulders. I swallowed and my eyes blurred. The shock of everything was starting to give way, and adrenaline and the cold made me shake nearly uncontrollably. I held tightly onto Clutch, and he wrapped his arms around me, shaking just as much.

"I can't believe they shot Tyler," Deb said in a monotone voice.

All but two bandits disappeared into the back. The pair who remained kept their rifles leveled on us while the others changed. One of the bandits was busy admiring his new rifle: Clutch's Blaser.

Less than a minute later, Hodge came out in Guardsman fatigues, walked over to the pair standing guard over us, and said something I couldn't hear. When he turned to us, his eyes narrowed. "If any of you try to run, you will be shot. Got it?"

He didn't wait for a response. He left with the others dressed in clothes our guys had been wearing minutes earlier, and I wanted to see his blood stain the clothes he stole.

I clung to Clutch, partly to warm him and mostly because I needed to feel him—his breathing, his heartbeat, his life. His breathing steadied my own, and I felt my pounding heart return to a level where it didn't feel like I was having a panic attack. After a minute or two, his grogginess wore off and he no longer swayed or shook as badly. He gingerly touched the back of his head and winced. "Fuck."

I looked up at him. I wanted to ask if he was okay, but when I opened my mouth, a sob threatened to get in the way.

He cupped my face with both hands. He didn't kiss me, only pressed our foreheads together as though he needed the physical connection as much as I did. Tears streamed down my cheeks. He brushed away a tear with his thumb. "Sh. Don't cry," he whispered softly.

The soft words were such a contrast to his rough palms, yet both were full of emotion and I leaned into him. "I almost lost you," I whispered back, my voice cracking.

He looked up and glared at the bandits, each on opposite sides of our indoor campground, before looking back at me. "You shouldn't have cried out," he whispered. "They'll use me to hurt you now."

If I hadn't cried out, he'd be dead right now. Rather than saying that, I simply shrugged.

Around us, the remaining Fox survivors all sat in shellshock. Many were crying in despair and loss, some stared blankly into nothingness, and others looked downright pissed, like they were about to go kamikaze on the guards. I don't know how I looked to them because I was feeling all of those emotions at the same time.

Tyler's rumpled blue sleeping bag sat empty, along with a few others, and I turned away, not having the strength to think about the permanence of what had happened. I could only hope that Jase and Griz were safe.

The two bandits didn't stop Benji as he walked around the clothing racks, picking out clothes and bringing piles to each of the men. Diesel barked from one of the back rooms. The dog had gotten lucky. When Diesel had growled when the bandits manhandled Frost, one of the men had raised his rifle to shoot the dog, but the bandit leader took a shine to the dog and claimed him as his. Though, I wasn't yet convinced the leader wanted Diesel as his pet or for dinner.

"How did everything go so wrong?" I finally asked against Clutch's tattooed chest. "What do we do now?"

He watched the guard, and didn't speak for at least a minute. His body tensed and his gaze hardened. "I'm getting my rifle back."