Chapter 11: The Truth?!

(Nizana's clothing + the conical hat) NOTE: picture is not mine

*teng teng teng* The sound of the guzheng still echoed in the back of my mind as I slept. My body felt cold like the snowy winter. It was then that I woke up to discover I had fallen asleep on the balcony. It was very early in the morning, the sun was barely visible in the east. My vision went towards my hand, still clutching my flute from last night.

Was it a dream? No it couldn't be. I felt it and I heard it, as clear as water. Just who out there can bewitch me to such extent. My thought came back to the event last night when I had a mystical duet with a mysterious guzheng player. Even though we did not meet, the song brought such familiarity to me that I was sure the same event occurred somewhere in my past. I suddenly thought of the dream I had a few days ago, the dream with the boy in the forest. I realized thinking like this won't get me anywhere, so I walked back inside my room and get ready for a bath. The red bean paste from last night was still on my face, it became dry and crusty.

Sometime later...

"Nizana! Nizana! hurry and come out. You've been in the baths for two hours now." Kaijin was booming loudly that he got some few complaints from the other guests. I sighed,

That useless brother of mine. Can't he go one day without making trouble for others. I got up from the baths to change, hoping my brother would stop clamoring outside in the hall. As soon as I got out, Kaijin dragged me by the hand to his room. Inside the room was the same as mine, some few furniture and a futon. However, I noticed  a small floor table on one side with a sheet of paper on it. The paper had father's seal on it, a lotus. Kaijin noticed me staring at the paper on the floor table and smiled.

"I see you noticed father's letter. That was what I wanted to show you as soon as you woke up, but when I went to your room, you weren't there. The owner told me he saw you going to the baths."

"Why didn't you tell me instead of shouting outside the woman's baths. People will think you're a pervert." I was sort of mad now because I wanted to hear words from father. I especially wanted him to explain why he would send me off to be engaged to an idiot playboy, how awful.

"So, what does the letter say?" I asked.

"That's just it. He just wrote to come home by tomorrow morning. That means we can use this time to explore the city." Kaijin explained getting excited at the second part.

"Sorry brother, but as much as I'd love to go to the auction with you, I must talk to father." I said.

*sighs* "I understand Nizana. Let's get going then. If we leave now we'll be home by sundown." Kaijin was already packing up, leaving me standing. I went to my room to get my thing too. After paying our bills, we walked to the horse stable to fetch our horses and exited the capital.

A few hours later...

"Hey Nizana! We forgot to resupply our food. Come on, let's go back." Kaijin panicked at the sudden realization. Even though he is not a foodie like me, he freaks out when we don't have enough food. What a wierd guy.

"Kaijin, you forgot that I am your sister. Don't underestimate me. Here look." I took out one of my giant bento box out of nowhere and presented it to Kaijin. I felt proud of myself when Kaijin's face gave away to a mix of surprise and relief.

"Nizana, just how do you manage to always have that giant box with you?" Kaijin asked in wonder.

"Hehehe. That's for me to know and you to find out. If you dare that is." I mused at Kaijin's bewilderment.