Bound by Law || 45- We Need to Talk

A/N: Things are slowly coming to a close guys! Around three or four chapters left!!!!

***

The funeral was peaceful, but heart-breaking. Sanaya had met us there and I couldn't recognise her; she looked dull and pale, eyes gloomy.

Neither of us said a word, not even the boisterous Khushi who realised it was a grave atmosphere and remained quiet.

We all hugged each other, comforting one another without the use of any words. I couldn't help the occasional tears from slipping out, even though I didn't know Jai's grandma much.

My heart still clenched inside my chest in pain at the prospect that Jai was hurting more than I could ever imagine.

He had lost his brother and now his gran, too.

Glancing to the side, I watched Jai try to stay strong, his figure stiff. His facade was slowly coming undone as the tears slipped out of his red eyes but he tried to keep it together, his jaw still clenched in determination and his arms folded over his chest.

Jai...

My chest tightened at his expression. He looked broken; lost and angry as well.

I hope Gran rests in peace in heaven. I pray that my plan goes well. Please be with me, God.

I opened my teary eyes and found the people that had gathered around for the funeral, clad in black, were slowly moving away.

Sanaya and Mohit had already walked away, but I didn't bother looking back. I couldn't take my eyes off of his grandma's grave.

It happened all too suddenly.

She was laughing and so healthy when we saw her and now...

I shut my eyes tight before I looked up at Jai. He stood there, staring at the grave, unmoving, and so I reached out and grabbed his arm, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

He looked down at me, and managed to let out a small smile.

Jai brought his hand up and laced our fingers together. We slowly turned around and my eyes wandered around, in search of some very important people.

And it wasn't long before I found them either, standing with Sanaya and her family.

Beside me, Jai stopped walking abruptly and his grip on me tightened.

I swallowed, hard, and looked up at him to see his eyes narrowed at the two people he clearly despised the most.

Geena aunty looked up and spotted us standing on the slanted hill. She nudged Prem uncle and gestured to us before covering her mouth, her eyes watering as she stared at Jai.

Prem uncle's face was stoic, but his eyes seemed to reveal something else beneath the hardness. Jai's body trembled beneath my hand and I looked up, taking in his rage-filled features.

All of a sudden, he ripped his hand away from my grip and stormed towards them like a savage animal.

Sanaya gasped and Mohit stepped forward, trying to stop him from losing control of his actions. The fact that Mohit was in front of him, holding him back didn't seem to deter Jai from the pure fury that was clearly etched across his features.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he snarled instead, directing the words at Prem uncle.

A glimmer of remorse flashed through his expression but he tried to remain calm.