Chapter 17: Mai

A/N DING DONG DING DONG WEDDING BELLS! 

The wedding was planned in September. I’ve always adored fall weddings. Besides, it was only a few months from now and neither of us wanted to wait very long.

Planning a wedding was insanely busy. I didn’t really see the point of it all and neither did John. Two people wanted to join themselves in marriage. What did that have to do with music, cake, guest lists or a dress?

I would have asked to elope, but John and I didn’t have the money to go anywhere fancy enough for a wedding, so London it was.

We kept the guest list to a minimum. Neither of us knew very many people. I didn’t have any real friends other than Katie and Dan and John knew nearly everyone he did through Sherlock.

Choosing a dress was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I hate dresses in general. I would have worn jeans and a band tee if that was allowed, but Katie wouldn’t have it. She dragged me from boutique to boutique in search of what she called ‘the one’.

I would bullshit you and say I had one of those ray-of-light-lands-on-dress moments, but to be honest, I just chose a simple white dress that fit my curves nicely. It had a bit of lace around the bottom and I loved it, but no, I didn’t break down into tears and sob like those Miss America bitches on the telly.

Our colours were deep purple and black. John wanted the purple and I wanted the black. The table clothes were nice white with black trim and the flowers were all purple roses. I loved everything about it, though John seemed a bit sad when he noticed the purple. I decided not to question it.

On the day of, I was nervous as hell. Marriage was huge and I was terrified. I’d never imagined myself settling down because I never expected anyone to love me the way John does.

Dan was the only one who could calm me down. Being the smart man he is, he brought me a copy of The Two Towers to occupy myself with. Whilst Katie scrambled to do my hair, something that was completely unnecessary considering it was a pixie cut and couldn’t really be styled much other than the way I had it, I entertianed myself with reading the novel.

Dan sat in the chair beside me chuckling as Katie and I battled over me putting the book down so she could do my makeup. I was scared she would make me look like a painted whore, but I was careful to keep these thoughts to myself as I reluctantly placed the book on the table and closed my eyes.

Soon enough, she was done and I was free to stand. When I moved to look in the mirror, I found Katie had removed them all except her small makeup mirror.

“You can’t se yourself until everything is perfect, so put your dress on.” She ordered with arms crossed over her chest.

With a far too dramatic sigh, I carefully pulled on the white dress. Katie zipped it up painfully slow as I eagerly waited to see my reflection. I felt an odd mixture of fear and excitement. Wedding jitters, likely.

Finally, after what felt like years, I was ready.  Katie placed something on my head, only amplifying my curiosity. Final touches were made and I was allowed to see my appearance.

My jaw dropped.

I didn’t look like myself. My short hair was beautifully arranged. Upon my head sat a simple white flower crown that appeared to be woven into the strands of my hair. My makeup was soft and light, just giving me a slight blush and enhancing my eyes. The light pink on my lips gave me a youthful, innocent look that I adored.

The dress looked a thousand times better on today than it did back in the shop. The milky white softened my skin and made me feel like an angel, the lace straps holding everything together.

I looked simple, elegant and beautiful.

When I turned around, Katie had tears in her eyes. I threw my arms around her and thanked her as many times as I could before she shushed me.

“You’re so beautiful, Mai. So beautiful.” I nodded in thanks to her before facing Dan. He wasn’t crying, but his smile was so wide I feared it would split the skin on his face.

“Goddamn girl. I hate to say this, but Katie actually did a good job.” This earned him a light shove from her, but I was too busy laughing to care. Everything was going to be okay. My friends were here, I was marrying the love of my entire existence and everything was perfect.

John looked incredibly handsome in his black tux with a purple tie. He started top choke up when our eyes met. I ignored all the other people in the small chapel and focused only on him, twirling the purple bouquet in my hands.

I tuned out most of the wedding, lost in his eyes, until the vows began.

“I’m not entirely sure what to say. I thought about this speech for hours, but nothing seemed right. This…” His voice trailed off as he pulled a crinkled sheet of paper from his pocket. “This is nowhere close to what you deserve to hear. To be honest, no words do, so I’ll just have to improvise.”

The church laughed lightly, I along with them, as John shoved the paper back into his suit pocket.

“Mai,” he cleared his throat. “I don’t want all of those prepared words with fake sentiment. I don’t want to give you a speech. I want to thank you.”

I felt tears prickling in my eyes as I saw the love in his.

“You saved my life,” he continued lightly. “ I was a wreck after Sherlock, and I honestly don’t think I would still be here without you. You’ve always put my pain above your own, and even when you thought I wouldn’t notice, I did. You gave me something to live for, and I swear to you that no one will ever hurt you again. I swear to be faithful to you, and to believe in you, just as you have always believed in me.”

There was a moment of silence before he coughed and added, “Um, that’s it.” I chuckled along with the rest of the guests and gripped his hand tighter.

“I love you.” I whispered.

“I love you too, always.” He replied, giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

“Mai, please give John your vows.” The priest said with a smile on his face.

“Okay. I had thought that being the writer of the two would make this easier, but I haven’t the slightest idea how to top that. No, John is a writer too. He has his blog. That’s where I first met you, even though you didn’t know who I was. Your biggest fan.

John, you’re right when you say I’ve always tried to hide my pain from you. It’s because I’ve always wanted to protect you. I thought that my pain didn’t matter compared to yours, but you changed that. You were the first person I trust enough to tell my problems to. I promise I will always be truthful with you. I swear to always be there when you need me, and I vow that I will thank the universe every second of every day that you decided to get coffee that day when you met me. Thank you, John, because I didn’t just save you. You saved me too.”