Three: The Boy in the Library

I let my eyes drift back up to the second floor. The agent still watched, obviously unaware that we watched back.

"Clay?" Sara prompted, seemingly choosing not to reprimand him for disrupting the order of their normal discussion.

All faces turned to look at us. I stayed seated.

"I know we've all seen those government agent types hanging around campus. Who are they? What organization do they represent? We have a right to ask." He turned away from his audience, looking up at our observer.

It was then that the rest of the assembly noticed. The suited man turned away, walking towards the safety and shadow of the bookshelves.

"Stop right there," boomed one of Sara's closest followers.

She had jumped up onto the table as well, and was pointing an accusing finger up at the balcony. She was a dark skinned girl with short cropped pink hair and a leather jacket, and I did not doubt that, if the agent attempted to leave, she would pursue.

"We demand you identify yourself. Come down here, in front of all of us."

This whole thing was obviously starting to get to their heads-too many Tuesdays spent over thinking.

There were cheers of agreement from the group. Sara did not join them, but she watched expectantly, arms crossed. Curiosity got the better of me, and I jumped to my feet as well. Near the edge of the throng the blond boy slipped away, unnoticed. No one ever seemed to notice him, other than me that was. Rather than watching the agent, as he grudgingly made his way down the stairs towards us, I watched the blond boy. He did not head for the door; instead, further into the library. I made a note of it.

We all faced the same way, as the man came to a stop at the bottom of the stairs, making a wall of accusatory expressions. If he was worried, or perturbed in any way, he did not show it. Without any need for discussion, the group parted to allow Sara to pass. The agents stiffened a little. Of course she was the one to get a reaction out of him.

"Sorry about all this," she apologized. "This feels too much like an attack for my liking. But we're all here, and curious, so you might as well answer. Why are you guys here?"

"It's fine." The corners of the man's mouth pulled up into what was a very forced smile. "I understand your curiosity. You can't help it. The truth is, though, that we're only here to protect you."

That wasn't what it had looked like yesterday, when two of his kind had been attacking that girl. There was dead silence in the library.

"We would have loved to have a made our arrival more public, but that might have jeopardized our mission."

"Which would be?" The pink haired girl had pushed her way to the front of the crowd as well.

I did not remember her name, but I knew from past weeks that she had a thing against authority figures.

"Are you allowed to tell us?" asked another, less hostile student.

He nodded. "I can say this. There is an extraordinary dangerous cult integrated into your student population, and the surrounding city. I don't think I can fully explain to you the numbers who have moved to Sumar over the last few weeks. They are highly dangerous, and highly fanatical, and with the numbers they have amassed here, trust me when I say, our presence is needed."

There were worried murmurs behind us, throughout the group.

"And who would you be, exactly?" That girl just didn't quit, did she?

I cast a look at Sara, but she did not seem to be bothered.

"A special task force assembled to deal with such things." Another forced smile.