CHAPTER TEN

“Oh my god!”

The catains both inside hissed at the intruder before realising it was the princess interrupting their privacy. Both were covered in flour. Luisa immediately recognised Darcius, his blue eyes and long sword on his back were reflected in the shaft of light. He quickly disengaged from the activity and strode out first, fixing his dress and patting off the flour from his jet black coat. His cold sapphire eyes were fixed on Luisa.  He gave a half nod to Luisa and still swaying slightly, left the room.  Next to come out was a short chubby black haired catain with a large white patch of fur on her chest and whose tight dress and hat were quite askew. 

Considering what Luisa had just witnessed she carried herself with much poise.  She gave a short curtsy. She had squeezed her fat little paws into high heels, the first pair Luisa had seen in Cataindar.  The catain regarded Luisa for a moment, when she spoke her voice was high and artificially sweet,  

“The abbot sent you? Yes? Well, of course he would have done. He didn’t think to tell me you were coming now, he really can be quite a silly pudding.  Well!!  If I had known, I would have escorted you from the door, which would have been proper. And that would have meant that my little workers didn’t see you rolling around my kitchen like a lost root-tip! Ah! They have such delicate little minds, I take it they probably saw you and dropped everything? Broken pots? Upturned stocks? Yes. Yes I know it. We will probably be eating grit for the next few weeks. But they were so excited. They have been practicing bows and curtsies for the last few days before you arrived. Silly flowers that they are.

But still! Welcome to the kitchens of Cataindar, this is where we make dreams come true, the greatest cuisine, the most delicious treats, finer, tastier, than what you could even imagine! Though I may add we are looked down, on by some of our peers. Some have spread unfounded lies about us, have mocked us!  A rock begins a rock after all, it is only when a mason lets his hammer fall again… and again that we see the true art…” she took a deep breath and after fluttering her long eyelashes closed her eyes, “How may I ask was your breakfast?”

“Oh it was…”

“Tasty? Exotic? Strengthening from your girdle to the tip of your hair?”

Luisa nodded.

“Why thank you, the accolades of a princess aren’t asked for, but they are deserved. I expect we both know that!” She swelled with pride.  “There are chefs and then there are chefs, Princess, no doubt you have already realised that I am a chef.”

Luisa gave a weak smile.  She had the feeling this may be a long day.

Ms. Chopland went on in her own epic way to explain the various workings of the kitchen.  They delved back into the steam filled main kitchen.  Ms. Chopland pushed her way through carrying a folding fan, she hit, tripped and whacked any workers that crossed her path. Nothing could break the rhythmic clip-clipping sound of her high heels on the stone floor.  Luisa saw lots of pots boiling but very little actual food getting cooked. 

The catains seemed to eat mostly various different types of roots which Chopland explained could be harvested at ‘soft points’ around Cataindar. She took Luisa through the basics. All other ingredients collected from the lands above were rare and were under lock and key as well as the watchful eye of Ms. Chopland. 

Ms. Chopland gave Luisa a chef’s hat, and then had Luisa boil a small knott root for hours in a huge saucepan. Luisa then joined the washers in cleaning a mountain of clay pans.  She was the third washer, and tried to speak to the catain next to her but the catain shook its head, smiling shyly,

“Sorry princess, W’not allowed to speak to you I’m afraid.”  

So they continued in silence.

By the time Luisa was finished her arms ached and her lungs hurt.  She arrived back into her quarters exhausted. Clearwater was already curled up, eyes closed.  Luisa was asleep as soon as she slipped under the covers. 

-- 

Our first proper day in Cataindar done - if you enjoyed - please vote!

Thank you so much for reading. Let me know what you think; Does Cataindar feel real to you guys? What am I missing, what could be improved? I like using italics - is it a little much? 

I'l be catching up on some reading with this pool time and offering day-drunk critqiues, so if I should be reading your work ; pop me a message and let me know! :-)

If you have read this far I really hope that you would consider keeping in touch with me. Subscribing on Cataindar.com will really help this book on its path to be published! Thank you! :)