47. Burned Out

Author Note: Inspired by the beautiful song Burned Out by Dodie Clark.

She trembled, sat amongst the twisted shadows within her four beige painted walls. Echoes of laughter and joy circulated around her numb body. She longed to feel something, longed to have emotion seep through her veins yet it remained silent. Sharp words pierced through her skin, words that had been developed from her own brain.

The guilt built up inside of her and she squeezed her eyes shut in hopes she could disappear, even if it was only for an hour.
Sighs and sharp breathes.
Trembling fingers and water stained cheekbones.
Dry throat and Blank expression.

A faint sound of fists thudded against her door, signalling that somebody wanted to come in. He, the owner of the knock, pressed his forehead against the cold wood silently begging for her to let him in. He didn't want her to be alone, he loved her yet he was shut out.

His crystal blue eyes glistened in the dim landing light. Another sigh was heard but no movement could be traced by ear. He remained leant up against the door, his fingers slowly stroked against the harsh wood forming patterns on his skin. Full of silent emotion and love towards the girl who sat alone in her locked dark room he needed to be let in.

"y/n, please open the door" he mumbled, loud enough for her to hear through the door.

Fine. She kept telling herself she was fine. She didn't need him. She didn't need help.

Lies. Lies that was all they were. Lies. That she kept telling herself in order to keep some form of control. Unhealthy control.

Realisation struck when she saw the door slowly open. It was only then that she realised she unlocked it and was now panicking. Panicked that he would see her the way she sees herself.

She didn't have time to tell him to leave, to tell she didn't mean to open the door as she was engulfed in a giant hug.

He held tightly onto her, as if she'd slip through his grip if he didn't. He took in the familiar scent of rose petals that laced her neck and stained her clothes. He squeezed his eyes shut, fully embracing the broken girl he wanted to build back up again. Step by step.

She wrapped her arms around him as tightly as he did to her. She didn't realise she needed something to grasp until he held her, and she found her last hope. They remained silent, sentences sat in their mouths, tempted to let the words slip. Yet not willing to break the silence that hugged them both into a sense of security.

"Joe" she mumbled into his now damp shoulder

"yeah" he whispered into her hair

"Thank you"