Imagine // Wanna Bet? - Part Five.

Start from the beginning

He didn't want her to look like this. She had argued with her best friend over him. Again, it was his fault that someone was unhappy, and almost he would have started to laugh. It was like a curse with him.

Nervous he checked his phone, but Mbege hadn't answered yet. "You know what?", he said, wiping his hands hat his trousers. "Sitting here doing nothing won't change anything."

"So what are you suggesting?", she asked, lifting her head to look at him.

"To get drunk and forget all our problems? Which means... really drunk."

"At five in the afternoon?"

"Or we could just go outside and grab a coffee."

(Y/n) checked her phone last time, before she stood up sighing. "That sounds reasonable. Let's go. Raven will come back eventually." She offered him her hand and he took it, letting her pull him up from the bed. "And if not, we can still get drunk later, does that sound like a plan?"

"That sounds definitely like a plan", Murphy answered, the phone securely placed in his front pocket. He could use a drink right now.

Together they sat outside, on the same bench he had lead (y/n) to a few days earlier. He had been here only once, yet, he somehow liked this place. Watching the people passing by, just sitting calmly in all the hectic around him. Even though 'hectic' was relative on a Tuesday evening, on a cloudy day at the end of summer.

(Y/n) had pulled her legs up onto the bench and had crossed them, holding her cup of coffee safely in both her hands. Lost in her thoughts she was staring at it, giving Murphy another chance to look at his phone. Still no answer.

"We shouldn't be here", she whispered eventually, making Murphy's heart miss a beat. What was that supposed to mean? Yet, he didn't say anything, and simply raised his brow, when she continued. "We should be studying."

He couldn't help it, a snort escaped him, followed by a tiny dry chuckle. "You're incredible", he whispered, taking a sip of his coffee, not looking away from her.

His arm lay lazily over the back of the bench, and he had positioned his right foot on his left knee.

"Your friend vanished, the weird guy from a lousy party kissed you, and you're still thinking about studying."

(Y/n) scoffed. "Pretty stupid, huh?", she whispered, and leaned back, resting her head on his shoulder.

For a second he considered pulling away, until he realised that there was absolutely no need to. She was his... Was she his girlfriend?

"Yeah, slightly", he answered, and considered for a moment if he should wrap his arm around her, though he decided against it a second later. It wasn't that (y/n)'s close presence made him uncomfortable. It had just been a long time, since someone had touched him like that.

"Still, the exams are in a week", she whispered, again lost in her thoughts, and Murphy suddenly felt like throwing up. He had studied – mostly with her – but he felt everything else than ready for them. For a moment it was silent. Just the voice of a man who was shouting something a few metres away was to be heard, and soon he had walked away far enough that he was barely audible to Murphy.

(Y/n) took a sip from her cup, before she took it in both her hands again.

"Why did you go to this college?"

"What?" That was a change of topic.

(Y/n) shrugged. "I don't know. There must be a reason, right? I wanted to go here since High School... What about you?"