Chapter 26: Jacob

Tuesday, September 3rd, 5:10 pm

We left the area just in time to see Emma, Bri, Nat, and Hannah running over to the grove. 

"Dude. You cut it kind of close there!" I told Kevin who was jogging beside me as we were going back to the main house.

"Well, I made it out. Didn't I? And they didn't see me," he simply responded. I rolled my eyes and neither of us said anything else the rest of the jog back to the house. 

"You guys take care of it?" Chris asked as soon as we walked in the door.

"Yeah dude. No worries. She's perfectly fine. I texted one of the girls and she and a few others went to get her," I told him.

"Good. I feel sort of bad for scaring her that much."

"It's fine dude. Relax!"

"Fine, fine, fine. But it's not just me that was worried! You were too, right Kev?"

"Yeah. I still feel bad, even knowing that she's okay," he confessed sheepishly.

"Well, why don't we celebrate her being okay and make everyone feel better?" Ray offered mockingly. Everyone murmured their agreements and we went to the kitchen to get some snacks.

I picked up a can of Pringles while most of the guys went for regular potato chips, pretzels, and popcorn. I also got out a bowl of jelly beans, but no one wanted any for the time being, so I just left them on the counter.

Once we all got some food, we went back into the living room and started talking.

"I'm serious man! She just wouldn't let me out of it!" Chris complained.

"Out of what?" I asked him, wondering what he was talking about.

"My History teacher. We all had to make a presentation on the Crimean War, and then present it to the class. I kept trying to get out of it, but she made me do it! I tried everything! I even offered to mow her lawn."

"Seriously?"

"Yes, seriously! I hate public speaking!"

"Dude. You're 20. Get over it!" Josh told him.

"Easy for you to say, Mr. Cello playing-golfing-person-type-thing!" Chris yelled.

"Person-type-thing? What do you think I am?" Josh replied. I just rolled my eyes. They did this almost every single day. They can't go 24 hours without fighting!

"Children! Settle down!" Michael mimicked our math teacher. They immediately stopped fighting and we all burst out laughing. We were laughing so hard, half of us feel off the couch. 

"Yo Jacob. Why don't you grab those jelly beans off the counter so we can add them to our popcorn?" Ray asked me once we had sobered up.

"Sure man," I said, getting up to go into the kitchen. I pulled out my phone and quickly texted Emma to make sure Chloe was okay.

'You find her alright? Is she okay?'

She quickly responded with, 'Yeah. She's fine now.'

'Good, you don't know how worried I was. Kevin and Chris didn't mean to scare her that much.'

'Well you're just lucky she didn't have a panic attack like last year or I would kick your ass.'

'Panic attack?' I voiced my thoughts. I didn't remember anything about a panic attack from anyone last year.

'Yeah. Last year we were matched against an idiot frat team and they scared her so much she had one of her panic attacks. She was scared more by yours considering she fainted but the effects of her having a panic attack are much worse than her fainting.'