78. Life & Roommates in Whitefield - April 1988

Life & Roommates in Whitefield

April 5, 1988

Whitefield, Karnataka

Dear Parents, etc.,

Sai Ram. I'm still settled semi-quietly here in the darkness of Brindavan Ashram (sorry Sai). They continue to accept my rent, amidst asking when will I leave, when will I go. I give illusive answers (like if I'm paying for 10 days, I say, “Maybe I’ll go in 10 days.”)

As for money, I have US $650 and Rs 2,000 left. Now a small bunch of gopis are almost or completely out of money. I’ve never seen it this bad. Don’t worry, I'm not lending any money. They don’t know how much I have, but they know I'm being extremely careful. They consider me one of the poor ones. Please don’t get helplessly in debt because one of these years I may need assistance.

Rama’s day was celebrated here on March 26th. Swami had a lady translator, believe it or not! Some top lady of Anantapur college. We all know her because whenever she’s at Prasanthi Nilayam, Swami talks to her morning and evening, without fail. She did an excellent translation. After the discourse Sai even said to all of us, “Good translation!” All gave her applause.

London, Sri Lankan and American roommates left off, replaced by German girl (friend – Bettina), and two Telugu people, one from Lagos and her VIP aunt from Prasanthi Nilayam (a friend of mine). My Telugu is improving! They say that my Telugu only needs polishing - imagine that, as if I know the language!

Regularly, Darshan-starved van-fulls of Puttaparthi residents come for one day of Darshan, so I see Puttaparthi friends.

Parvatamma came one day for business. I happened to see her by accident – no one else knew she had come (she didn’t come for Darshan). She said she’d come on April 9th. Maybe to stay – I didn’t have time to ask. Maybe Sai invited her to come as it is so hot in Parthi.

Darshan is nice – He is continuing to give morning Darshan and evening talks/bhajan in your favorite hall, Mom. He’s giving a bit more attention, sometimes front rows and even looks. I'm actually doing some sadhana, meditation, etc., although my choice is simply to stay in Prasanthi Nilayam. :-)

Weather is OK here. You’d call it a bit hot - I call it a bit cool. Better than Kodai or Ooty – brrr.

The Puttaparthi person left our room and an African American came – she stayed in Prasanthi Nilayam a long time; it’s interesting that Sai is sending long-time people to our room.

Love,

Divya