6

"still sitting by yourself huh?" I say cheerfully as I sit down next to Gus. it was lunch time, which meant we were halfway through the day, and also still gives me the time to ask Gus if he wanted to hang out this weekend. since school started on a Thursday this year, the weekend came quick this week. 

"oh yeah definitely." he says sarcastically.

"so I had a question..." I say nervously. 

"oh yeah. I did too. but you can go first." he says as he unwraps his sandwich. 

"okay um. I was wondering if you wanted to hang out this weekend. my dads going to be out of town but my mom said she's cool with it." I was blushing so fucking hard I that I felt it. 

"well, I was actually going to ask you the same thing." he smiles. 

"well so I guess we're hanging out this weekend huh?" I ask as I take a bite of my pizza. 

" is your mom cool with me staying the night?" he continues the conversation. 

"oh yeah totally. and we have a blow up mattress or something. if you want." 

oh my god I was making this so awkward. 

"alright cool." 

" so whats next Taylor, you gonna start popping xans and shit like this lowlife? lemme guess, he's already talked you into sleeping with him?" Connor walks up to mine and gus's table with a few of the guys off the football game.

remember that ex I was talking about? yep. thats him.

my heart was aching. I slowly slouched my head over, looking down at the grass.

"what the fuck dude." I heard gus say. 

"you gotta problem boy?" Connor snaps. 

"yeah I actually do have a problem." gus stands up from the table.

"gus sit down.." I grab his arm trying to pull him down. 

"how are you gonna sit here and let this fool talk to you like this?" gus looks at me, he was aggravated. 

"because I'm her ex, I can say anything I want." Connor laughs. 

" and I can tell you right now, your gonna get tired of her the first night you sleep with her. or...wait... y'all did that last night right?? congrats Taylor! you finally managed to get a guy to stay with you after one night!! you must be paying real good for this one." Connor fist bumps his friends laughing. 

gus sarcastically chuckles, then looks at me. he pops his knuckles. then before you knew it, gus's fist met Connors nose, making a nasty, popping noise. which I'm guessing was Connors nose because within seconds it was dripping blood. 

" you got anything else to say?" gus asks Connor. 

Connor doesn't say anything but grits his teeth and walks away while holding his nose.

" that actually kinda hurt." gus laughs as he sits down, trying to make a one out of this.

"why did you do that.." I whisper, as everyone around us was staring. 

" because I didn't appreciate what he was saying to you." he says. 

I look at him and get up  walking away. 

I was confused and mad. 

I was mad because I knew that now, Connor will forever try his best to make my life a living hell. 

I was confused because why did gus even care about what Connor said?

I avoided gus at all cost when going to my classes. I even waited an extra 30 minutes before leaving school because I didn't want to drive past him on my way home. 

when I got home, my mom was in the kitchen cooking. 

" hey sweetheart! is Gus coming over tonight??" she asks as she cut up celery. 

"mom. gus punched Connor in the face." I say as I sit at the counter in the kitchen. 

"ooo you got ya a badass huh?" my mom tries to make a joke. 

" no mom you don't get it. Connors going to fucking taunt me for the rest of this year now." I say aggravatingly. 

"dont worry about what Connor has to say or what he does....hes a low life piece of..." then the doorbell cuts her off. 

"ill get it!!" Ethan runs down the stairs to the door. 

"anyways, I'm making pasta salad and spaghetti for dinner." my mom continues. 

then I felt a hand on my back, making me jump. 

" hello um ...Taylors mom." gus says smiling.

"its Shannon. my names Shannon" my mom smiles back. 

"hello Shannon." he corrects himself.

"I need to talk to you." gus looks at me grabbing my hand quickly.

"okay.." I say getting up out of my seat. 

"ill tell y'all when dinners ready." my mom said as she put the noodles in the pot. 

as soon as my feet were on the ground, gus was pulling me upstairs to my room. 

"gus! what do you want!" we run into my room. he lets go of my hand as he shuts the door quickly. then he turns around and grabs both of my hands pulling me close to him as he backs up against the wall. he turns around and pushes me against the wall softly.. 

he slowly leaned in as he held my hand in his and put his other hand on my left cheek, caressing my face. 

"gus.." 

" you said you wanted to get to know me. so why won't you?" he backs up, pulling me with him. he sits on my bed, pulling me on his lap. 

"I want too..." I whisper. 

" in order to get to know me, you can't get mad at me for standing up for you to your shitty ass ex. you can't avoid me in the halls. you can't wait almost a half an hour to leave school. you can't..you just can't..." he rest his two hands on my back. 

" I was just confused okay....no guy has ever stood up for me like that because no guys ever found me worth the fight.." I say. 

he looks me in my eyes and squint as if he was studying something way bigger and beyond my mind. 

"your worth it to me. and I can't wait till I get to know you. the real you." he smiles. 

a knock on my bedroom door breaks the silence. making me quickly get out of his lap. 

"dinners ready!!!" my mom yells. 

I slide down in the floor as my heart beat swiftly. 

gus sat down next to me. 

"so, are we willing to get to know each other?" he asks, smiling as he grabs my hand in his. 

"yeah..." I blush. 

I feel the smoothness of his hand touch my cheek. pulling my face closer to his. our lips were an inch away, but it felt so much farther. 

then another knock on my door. causing us both to pull away quickly. 

Ethan walks in. " come on! mom said to hurry!!" 

"hey Ethan." gus smiles as we get up. 

"hey peep." 

we walk down stairs and sit in the same seats as last night. 

it was quiet the first few minutes because everyone was eating. 

"so whats the deal between you two? are y'all like a thing?" Ethan asks. 

" just friends." me and gus both say smiling.