7. The First Step

~ The first step is always the hardest. Once you are on the road, you will reach the destination too~

Shravan came out of the washroom, a good two hours later. The wall clock showed 4 am. He glanced at the bed and found Suman sleeping in a really awkward, sitting position, her back supported against the bed rest, and he head tilted back. He frowned, didn't she mention she was sleepy or something? Sighing, Shravan put her to bed property, covering her with the comforter. He contemplated sleeping but it was already almost morning and he knew he won't be able to sleep this night anyway. Suddenly through the glass window of his room, the moon caught his attention. The moon, his only companion of those lonely nights of London, when he had craved and cried for companionship, for his parents, for Sumo. Picking up his headphones and phone, he walked out of the house, into the front porch and sat on the bench in the garden, resting his feet on the centre table, his head lying back as he gazed the moon. A song blasted his ears, the one that he had heard innumerous time on loop, the one that felt home to him every time he listened to it.

Ye Jism Hai Toh Kya
Ye Ruhh Ka Libaas Hai
Ye Dard Hai Toh Kya
Ye Ishq Ki Talaash Hai
Fanaa Kiya Mujhe
Ye Chaahne Ki Aas Ne
Taraa Taraa Shikast Hi Hua

Raza Hai Kya Teri
Dil-O-Jahaan Tabaah Kiya
Sazaa Bhi Kya Teri
Wafaa Ko Bewafa Kiya
Tu Vaar Zindagi Se Yun Mujhe Judaa Kiya
Kahaan Kahaan Phirun Main Dhoondta
Raza Hai Kya Teri
Dil-O-Jahaan Tabaah Kiya
Sazaa Bhi Kya Teri
Wafaa Ko Bewafa Kiya
Tu Vaar Zindagi Se Yun Mujhe Judaa Kiya
Kahaan Kahaan Phirun Main Dhoondta

Wahaan Jahaan Tuhi Mera Libaas Hai
Wahaan Jahaan Teri Hi Bas Talaash Hai
Wahaan Jahaan Tujhi Pe Khatam Aas Hai
Wahin Shuru Wahin Pe Dafan Jaan Hai

Wahaan Jahaan Tuhi Mera Libaas Hai
Wahaan Jahaan Teri Hi Bas Talaash Hai
Wahaan Jahaan Tujhi Pe Khatam Aas Hai
Wahin Shuru Wahin Pe Dafan Jaan Hai

Ye Jism Hai Toh Kya
Ye Ruhh Ka Libaas Hai
Ye Dard Hai Toh Kya
Ye Ishq Ki Talaash Hai
Fanaa Kiya Mujhe
Ye Chaahne Ki Aas Ne
Tara Tara Shikast Hi Huaa

The rising and falling beats, with the pain in the lyrics and the voice had always pulled him towards itself. For no reason explainable, he loved this song. Maybe he felt a little less alone to feel this ache in the song, an illusion of comfort took him in his embrace. For many nights that he could not sleep, this song had replaced the mother's lullaby in his life, and finally, even this night, he fell asleep in its arms.

Suman woke up to a screeching alarm tone, at 7 am. Rubbing up her eyes, she sat up half dazed when two strange things caught her attention. First, Shravan wasn't in room, and he wasn't a early riser usually. Secondly, there were stranger blood spots on the cover of her comforter. But she had not hurt herself somewhere, had she? And then it dawned to her, his hand was injured. Springing on her feet, she checked the washroom before running downstairs, silently thankful to the almighty that others were still sleeping. She checked the front porch for his car, which was in its place and a deep frown settled between her eyebrows. Where the hell was he? She turned to go when that tall figure caught her attention, she could recognize him anytime, anywhere, even in a crowd of thousands. Taking baby steps, she reached him, but he was asleep, his headphones till blasting songs as his phone lay connected to a power bank. Suman picked up his phone to off the music system but the song stunned her, and she went back in memories almost a decade ago.

"Shravan yaar, why this song? Its so weird. Lets listen something happening na", a 15 year old Sumo nagged Shravan, who was sitting silently engrossed in the muisc.

"Sumo, if you need your homework done, let me be and listen to this same song", Shravan replied irritated, he was already in a very foul mood, witnessing a very common but nasty fight between his parents a few hours ago.

"Aree, but in a sad mod if you listen sad song, sadness multiplies na. What is the advantage?", Suman tried again, she was sick of hearing the same song for the last ten times or so.

" There is no advbantage. But I don't know why, this song is home to me, it gives me peace. You pass me the ear chords, and then listen to whatever you want on your radio", Shravan sighed before resuming the work, avoiding to talk to her.

The cold wind brought her out of her reverie. Something was wrong, very wrong but she could not put her finger on what. Her gaze flickered to the wound on his right hand, it seemed he had punched his fist somewhere. His anger will be his destruction one day, Suman thought agitatedly, unaware of the already destroyed man sleeping in front of her.

Running into the kitchen, she came out with some first aid, and trying her best, not to wake him up, she dressed his wound. No matter how much she tried she still cared, he still affected her. Sighing, she tried waking him up, since soon others would be up too, but he didn't budge. Shaking his shoulders violently, she called out for him, but in response, only his head dropped to a side indicating that he was not sleeping but unconscious.

The doctor injected him and attached a drip to his left hand, before turning to the family.

" Nothing major. His glucose levels have terribly dropped, and hence the unconsciousness. I have attached the glucose drips, and as soon as his levels raise, he will be conscious. But make sure to finish three such drips and also feed him properly. I am guessing he hadn't eaten in a day or so, take care though", the doctor instructed and Pushkar went to drop him off, while Ramnath stood frozen. Shravan was hurting deep and he had not even known that. Staggering he also made his way down leaving Suman behind.

All this while Suman's mind was stuck on the breakfast tray in their room day before yesterday and that would mean he had skipped food for two complete days. Anger rose in her. Why was he so hell bent on irritating her? She sat beside him, as she looked at his sleeping figure, and she bent to kiss his forehead.

Her ringing phone brought her out of the reverie. She attended the call and jumped in happiness. PCT has got an order worth 10 lakhs!