Chapter 20

Zack's POV

I reluctantly started to wake up the next day when the sun hit me in the face. I wasn't ready to wake

up. I clenched my eyes shut more and tightened my grip on what/who ever I was holding. I opened my eyes and saw Kate still sleeping with her head on my chest. I forgot I fell asleep holding her.

She tightened her grip on me after I tightened my grip on her by accident and she rubbed her face into

my chest before settling back into her state of sleep. I rubbed her back and looked around the room. The TV was still on, but it was a different channel the local news was on.

I looked over to see Sarah sitting up where she had fallen asleep last night, watching TV. She looked

over and smiled at me. "She usually sleeps a little later than usual when she's been crying." I looked down at Kate's sleeping figure. She took in a deep breath in her sleep before breathing normally again. I looked back up at Sarah, "Should I go, like after she's awake? I don't want to ruin anything you-"

"Actually I think it'd be better if you stayed." She smirked and I nodded in response. Then she

laughed a little, "I hope you don't have to piss."

"I do now." She smiled and turned back to the TV. I just kinda zoned until I heard a familiar name

on the news.

"Last night on Northland Avenue two vehicles crashed, causing serious damage to both vehicles.

Peter Simmons had ran a red light when he crashed into the car of James Sullivan. Simmons walked away from the crash with a few minor injuries, Sullivan wasn't as fortunate and was taken to the ER. His condition has not yet been released. Onto other news…"

I stood up from the couch, completely ignoring the fact that I had just woken up Kate, and started

putting on my shoes.

"What's going on?" A groggy and confused Kate sat on the couch, waiting for an answer. Sarah had

disappeared and reappeared from the room where my bag was quickly. "Jimmy's in the hospital." Kate sprang from the couch and was in a hoodie and tying her shoes with in seconds.

"What hospital?" Kate grabbed her phone and checked it.

"I-"

"Never mind, Brian told me." I nodded and we all headed outside and climbed into my car. "He's at

Mercy." Kate's voice had gone from worried and anxious to a low, almost monotone voice.

"Kitty, are you okay?" Sarah looked in between the seats to look back at Kate, sitting by herself.

I saw her shake her head in the review mirror. "That's why he had to leave so quickly last night.

That's why Matt was so impatient…" I saw Sarah's posture slacken some out of the corner of my eye. Jimmy had gotten into some bad shit before, but never this bad.

*****

I pulled into the hospital parking lot and we bolted for the doors. The lady at the front desk looked up

at us with a questioning look. "We need to see James Sullivan." Sarah spoke quickly and got impatient when the nurse didn't respond right away.

"I'm sorry but only fam-"

"Damn it! Screw the fucking family rule we need to see him now!" Kate banged on the desk,

screaming at the lady. She had frustrated tears running down her face.