My Champion - Shinsuke Nakamura

For Eboni-Napalm

Song; My Champion by Alter Bridge

:: :: :: ::

Today was supposed to be the day that everything changed for not only Axelle Kenway; her WWE persona but also, Elise McCready's personal life. When she woke up this morning, it all seemed so easy. Defeat Asuka, win the women's NXT championship and in doing so win over the WWE universe and her crush.

Elise realized one thing as she lied in the middle of the ring, the lights above her dancing blurry stars. Life isn't that simple. The mat vibrated below her in a familiar way, the ringing in her ears slowly subsiding, replaced with muffled cheers. Before she could even comprehend she was being pinned, the bell rang.    

The brunette sat upright, tattooed left arm held her neck and her right arm clung to her midsection as she watched Asuka jump on the top turnbuckle with the championship. Tears beaded in her eyes at the sight. She'd imagined this moment a million times but she never thought she'd fall victim to her undefeated streak. Elise's gaze dropped back down to the mat, her blue eyes squeezed shut. Deep in her sternum disappointment sat, a heaviness she couldn't bare.

 ➢➣➢

Aimlessly Elise walked the halls. The lump in her throat grew with each halfhearted smile tossed her way. In the distance, she could still hear the roar of the crowd as they enjoyed the rest of the show. Already over her loss. The way she wished she was. Shinsuke's match was going on and as much as she wanted to cheer him on the dark cloud around her wouldn't allow it.

The chants grew louder in the distance and for a fraction of a second she hoped he'd lose. It was a terrible thought that she quickly shook away. Some warped fairy-tale of two losers bonding over how much they sucked. Music erupted, his music, pride fluttered in her chest. He won, the side of her mouth lifted momentarily before it dropped back into a frown. If he wasn't too good for her before, which as far as Elise was concerned; he was. As the new NXT champion, he was definitely out of her league now.   

A sigh escaped her lips as she turned into another hallway, she stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the two women she hated most. "Well, well, well, if it isn't tonight's biggest loser." Billie chuckled, Peyton nodding in agreement.

Her jaw clenched tightly, hands balling into fists. "At least I had a match." Elise said sharply, not willing to back down. 

Their dark eyes narrowed, slowly they inched forward. She braced herself for their attack, a tad excited to be able to get out some of her frustration. Their hard faces dropped without reason, replaced with innocent smiles peering over her shoulder. "Congratulations!" One of them said as she turned around to see what caught their attention.

Her heart missed a beat, from both surprise and joy. Shinsuke smiled with a gracious nod, his left hand rubbed his neck, the right held the NXT title in place on his shoulder. Something tightened in her lower abdomen as she tried to form words. His brown eyes shifted down to her and she drew in a sharp breath.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a low voice, his intriguing Japanese accent making it hard for her to focus. She didn't understand the question, was she okay after her loss? Or was he asking if she was okay because she was gaping at him like a mental person?

Her brows creased as she tried to decide which it was, his eyes looked up to the other two women before quickly coming back to Elise and she finally realized what he meant. Was she in danger. "I'm okay. Thanks." A smile tugged at the side of her mouth, butterflies fluttering in her stomach. He cares. Sure he probably cares about everyone, he's a sweet guy like that but the fact that she was included in that everyone category made her giddy.

Feeling ridiculous, she tried to step around him and head in the other direction. She was awkward around him and it drove her crazy. He was never going to see her as more than that weird girl, that avoids him, if she didn't stop running. But no matter how many times she convinced herself that next time would be the time she tries, it never happened. He caught her arm before she could get far, electricity shooting up it and down the other.    

Her blue eyes stared down at his touch, the heat from it making her lightheaded. She never wanted this feeling to go away. "Sorry...I wasn't sure how else to stop you." He said in a low voice pulling his hand away.

"No, it's okay really. I was just surprised. What's wrong?" She quickly reassured, it felt like she had fog in her head as she tried to focus.

A lopsided smirk spread across his face, "Why would something be wrong, I'm Champion not much could bring me dow..." Her heart sank to the pit of her stomach, eyes dropping to his chest, a forced smile sat on her face still. She wanted to be happy for him, and for the most part she was but a small part of her couldn't help but feel like he was rubbing it in her face. Shinsuke trailed off, nose scrunching up with disappointment. "I'm so stupid. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be talking about this thing right now." He lifted the title from his shoulder and let it hang in his hand by his waist so it was out of eyesight.

"So what did you wanna talk about?" Her throat was so tight it was hard to speak, she still couldn't meet his gaze.

He shifted his weight, "I saw you fight earlier-"

"You mean lose." She cut in, it came out sharper than she meant it to and her jaw clenched, kicking herself. This is what she's wanted for months, a chance and here she was blowing it.

"I think we're both right." She looked back up at him, amusement danced in his eyes. Elise bit down on her bottom lip trying to hold back a smile. He chuckled under his breath, brushing his hair back anxiously. "I don't know why it's so hard for me to talk with you." His cheeks darkened a shade and so did hers.

"You're better at it than you think."

His smile broadened, causing her heart to flip in her chest. "I just wanted to say that I think you're an incredible performer and I have no doubt that some day soon you'll be a champion too." She took in a deep breath and exhaled, tears beading in her eyes. And for the first time tonight, she didn't care that she lost the championship. As she stared into his eyes, she realized that she'd give up a million titles for more moments like this.

:: :: :: ::

My dear, I really hope it 

was worth the wait <3

This is my first ever Shinsuke 

one shot, I was super nervous about 

writing.