- one -

"Why no medical college? Don't want to be doctor?" Was what my grandparents asked my parents, when me and my older brother both refused to attend medical college.

To say they were disappointed would be an understatement.

"Grandma, I'm a DJ. I don't need to study medicine." My older brother, Jaehyung Park aka Jae, said smugly.

"You think DJ cool? No!" My grandmother smacked his forehead as I bit back a chuckle.

"Ah, let it be. You study what you want. Don't disappoint your parents." Grandpa said, walking out of the room.

"Jae In-ah, come here." He called out from the kitchen.

I stood up from the couch with a deep sigh and dragged my feet to the kitchen.

"Here you go." He said while reaching his hand out.

I was confused but took out my hand to receive whatever that he was offering.

A few seconds later, I felt a cold metal like object come in contact with my palm.

"Grandpa, what's this?" I asked, eyeing the golden key on my hand.

"I was planning to give your older brother, but he hopeless. You take care of this." He said, finally smiling.

"But grandpa, you know I lose things easily." I tried to hand him back the key.

"No." He said and shook his head.

"Okay. I'll keep it." I sighed and walked up to my room. 

I took out a jewellery box from my closet and placed the key in it. Maybe it's some sort of family heritage.

Heaving another deep sigh, I laid down on my bed, actually considering what my grandparents said.

My grandpa was an engineer and my grandmother, a doctor. My dad, too was a doctor, and so was my mom. It's only normal for our grandparents to expect the same from us.

But our parents never forced us into doing anything that we didn't want to. I knew Jae was never going to pass even if he tried a thousand times, that birdbrain was better off dj-ing.

I knew I could, if I tried. But I also wanted to break the stereotypical Asian doctor family chain.

After mentally debating about it for an hour or so, I decided to join my family downstairs.

"No." I said when I entered the living room.

They all looked up at me with confusion. "What?" Jae was the first one to speak up.

"I'm sorry grandma, grandpa. Mom, dad.. I don't want to disappoint you. But I want to study music production instead." I explained.

"You want to follow your brothers footsteps?" My dad looked surprised.

"No, I'll be more successful than him." I shook my head vigorously.

"Your parents no good in music, why you both interested in it?" My grandpa laughed.

"Oh well, we can't force you to do anything you don't want to." My grandma shrugged.

And that, is how I ended up in the prestigious college of performing arts.

It seemed hectic at first, but I got the hang of it as time passed. It was my senior year and I was looking forward to a lot of activities.