Chapter 30 ♕ The True Victim

Corvan could not comprehend how in the world she got such a ridiculous idea. He was careful about what words he spoke and did not remember hinting something or anything about marriage, however, the girl seems to be absolutely delusional to think that he, Lord Corvan von Vaushna de la Wylden, successor of his father, would ever stoop down to marry someone of her caliber.

Hell, he would even choose a certain foul-mouthed, aggravating, blue-eyed, honey golden blonde over someone like her.

He grimaced. Corvan did not know why he was troubling himself about petty thoughts that involved marriage, and how was Valeriana even related to the matter? He mentally punched himself, trying to knock some sense into his head.

"And what made you think I had the thought of marrying you?" His lips twisted in displeasure as he averted his eyes from the sight of her, feeling disgusted. "In case you don't know, it never even crossed my mind."

"Surely if you say that I'm unworthy of holding the position of ruler for this city, then you must mean that you wish to takeover, yes?" She beamed at him. "What else to do than marry me in order to get the position for yourself?"

"You . . ." He never even thought he would say this once more. "Such insolence." He spat.

He could not even find the proper words to describe her. What would be the proper word to describe that . . . way of thinking? Stupidity? Naivety?

"I would never want such a small piece of land to rule over." He stood up, the chair screeching as it was pushed back. "In case you do not know, I am the sole heir of the de la Wylden family. After I accomplish my studies in the academy, I will be responsible in running the whole continent of Arlandia, which is the second biggest continent next to Denovegasia." His forehead creased even further as he clenched his fists in irritation. "This city is not even half of what I have, so do not even assume I would want it at all."

"But—"

"Listen, you impertinent, cheeky brat." He stared her down, feeling the current expression of fright, pain, and embarrassment insufficient. "I have quite enough of your audacity and that measly pebble you call your brain."

Now those words were his new favorite.

"If I ever said that you were not fit to become the ruler of this city, I meant it as a criticism. I simply chose to express my thoughts and judgment towards your horrible job of handling your position, and I did not, by any means, imply any sort of desire to become your husband, much less become this city's lord." He emphasized each word to her, wanting to shove each one into her brain.

He saw the tears welling up from her eyes as he scolded her, her bottom lip quivering.

"I will be spelling it out to you." He added. "Firstly, I do not desire to take your position. If I were to want to take it from you, I'll leave it to the Evereeshan family to do something about it. Secondly, you have to understand that a brat and insolent child such as yourself is not at all worthy of being the Lady of this city. To associate yourself with a demon and constantly change the seasons based on what I assume are your whims, is not something a proper ruler would do. A ruler would first mind the welfare of her people and put their happiness above her own."

She cowered into her seat, her back slouching as she attempted to hide herself from his scorching gaze.

"Thirdly, I absolutely, positively, definitely," She flinched with every word he said that he swore he felt a rush of pleasure seeing her act that way. It served her right. "Do not want to be your husband. If ever given the choice, I would rather have myself jump into the deepest pits where millions of demons are rather than be forced to be your husband. Do you understand?"