Chapter 34

Elise P.O.V.

Forgiving, it was all apart of moving on and going on with your life.

I looked in my rear view mirror back at Victoria who was fast asleep in her car seat. After she told me she saw her father in her dreams, I thought it would be best that we pay him a visit. I never once visited the grave site, I didn't even go to the funeral. His parents begged and pleaded for me to go, but they knew what he was putting me through and didn't bother to help. But time heals all wounds and it's time I act my age and not my shoe size.

Pulling up into the grave yard, I parked my car into the small parking lot where there was a few other cars. Victoria squealed as she stretched her limbs and rubbed her eyes.

"Mommy? Where are we?" Victoria looked around.

I looked back at her, "We are about to visit your daddy."

She nodded her head and got out her car seat. Due to child safety lock, I walked around and opened the door for her to get out. Grabbing her hand, we walked around the grave yard until I fell upon his name.

A sigh escaped my lips as I closed my eyes and a tear rolled down my cheek. Victoria sat down by the grave, complaining about how her feet were hurting her. I followed, and took a seat, pulling her into my lap.

"What was daddy like?" Victoria looked up at me with her beautiful sparkling eyes.

I looked down at her and gave her a weak smile, "He was a great man baby girl. Your dad was strong, independent, and wore his heart on his sleeve. If I needed something, whether it was for you or me, he made sure he got it. He provided for his family, because that was how he was raise.

"He loved you with all his heart, he would sing to you, read books to you, and even prayed over you at night. You were his pride and joy, and he did everything in his power to make sure you were taken care of. We never had to worry about anything when it came to him."

She nodded his head, "Then why did you kill him?"

I was stunned for words, I didn't know what to say or how to say it. How do you tell your daughter that you killed her father because he was threatening to beat on her? How do you tell your daughter that he was beating on you, rapping you, and mentally abusing you. The last thing I want for my daughter, is to fear a man.

I looked at his name that was carved into the stone, "Baby, sometimes as time go on you go through things in life and you gain experience. However, experiencing certain things can change your outlook on life. It can break you down, and make you question things. People aren't the same when their broken."

I knew Victoria couldn't understand what I was saying because she was only 6 years old and in first grade. Maybe when she gets older I will break down the story for her.

We sat in silence, and just admired the stone that had his name carved in cursive.

"What are my two lovely babies doing here?" I heard August speak behind me.

Victoria squealed, jumped out my lap and ran into his arms, "DADDYYYY!"

I smiled and got up, dusting off my jeans. "I should be asking you the same thing."

August smirked, "I was passing by the grave site and saw your car. So I decided to stop by and see what was going on."

"I was just letting Victoria visit her dad's grave site. I told her about him, I didn't want her to think of him as a bad man." I said lowly.

It was night time and August wanted us to stay with him at his house tonight. We ate together as a family, and I washed Victoria before putting her to bed. August read her a bed time story before she fell into a deep slumber. I was in August's room, fresh out the shower wearing one of his t shirts watching television.

August walked in the room and smiled at my appearance, "You looking good Ma."

I laughed and said a small thank you. We fell into silence as we looked into each other eyes. August's eyes held uncertainty and it was hard to tell what he was thinking about.

"What's the real reason why you went to his grave Elise?" August questioned.

I gulped, I knew I had to tell him. It was only right that I told him that piece of me.

"It was hard for me to forgive him for what he did to me, and what he put me through. For years I asked myself, what did I do to deserve this? What could I of possibly done to be treated this way?"

August stared at me intently as I got up and walked towards him, looking him deep in his eyes. I knew I was crying, but I knew I had to talk about it to move on.

"We got married right after college, and it was magical. He was my first and only boyfriend. Vincent and I got along so well together, our parents knew we were the perfect match. We had Victoria and he got drafted into the army by force. He didn't want to go, but he had to go.

"When he came back, he wasn't the same man that I married a couple years ago. He was drinking, staying out late, and then he started beating on me. It started out as a simple slap because I forgot to pour him a class of water. And from there, it just got worse.

"He beat on me, and from my bruised and the way he made me feel I didn't want to have sex with him. So he forced his self on me. Vincent cheated twice, the first time with my best friend and the second time with his assistant. The second time I broke, I snapped. He hit me and I finally decided to fight back. At first he was beating me and then Victoria walked in.

"He was gonna beat my baby, he was gonna put his dirty filthy hands on my child. She was only 2, and I wasn't gonna allow that to happen. So I killed him."

August looked at me lost of words, "You didn't have to tell me all that baby."

"I had to August." I wiped my face, "Its the only way to let things go and move on."