Prologue

A cold feeling spread throughout my chest as my vision blurred. I look down at the little girl

"I know this must be really hard to believe but I am telling you the truth," She states making me look up to meet her gray eyes.

"Why now?" I ask holding in the tears. "Why show up now to look for him?"

She stares at her daughter. "Can we talk about this inside? It's not really a good weather for Marissa to be in." She asks.

I open the door for them to walk in. The little girl looks around astonished.

"Thwis hwouse is bwig," She states as she lets her blue eyes roam the room.

I lead them to the living room. The woman takes a seat while her daughter roams the room.

"Can you answer my question now?" I ask and she looks down at the floor in shame.

"Three years ago I had a one night stand with your husband," she explains. "The next day I woke up in motel room, I did not know who I had slept with, I could not even remember what he looked like. Two months later I found out I was pregnant with Marissa. Yesterday, I bumped into this man, he was with the your husband that night, and he told me where to find him."

"Who was this man?" I ask raising a questioning eyebrow.

"His name was—"

"Aurora! I need to talk to—" Kenneth turns to look at the woman with knitted eyebrows. "Who is this?"

I walk over to Kenneth. "She has something to tell you." I reply.

"My name is Brenda," she greets shaking Kenneth's hand. "I came to tell you that you are a father."

The little girl runs over to us. "Hwello!" She greets Kenneth who stares at them confused.

"Unless Aurora is pregnant then I am not a father," Kenneth answers. He turns to me. "Is this a prank?"

I shake my head. "This woman claims that the little girl is your daughter." I answer.

"Three years ago, you and I had a one night stand." Brenda states. Hearing her say that she slept with Kenneth causes my heart to clench.

Kenneth shakes his head. "I think you have the wrong person," Kenneth replies. "That child cannot be mine because I have never had a one night stand."

Relief fills my heart. "We were both really drunk that night, you might not remember, but we did." The woman insists.

"I can assure you that child is not mine," Kenneth responds.

"She is your daughter and you need to take responsibility for your actions!" She replies.

Kenneth narrows his eyes at her. "Unless you have a DNA test, then she is not my daughter. Now, please leave." Kenneth growls.

"You want a DNA test? I will give you one." She replies. She pulls out a piece of paper and hands it to me. "Call me tomorrow morning, I will give you the details of the appointment."

She grabs her daughter and walks out of the mansion.

"She's not my daughter," Kenneth states turning to look at me. "Please believe me."

I walk over to him and cup his face in my hands. "I believe you." I state and Kenneth smiles down at me.

"You were my first as well," Kenneth confesses and I stare at him surprised. "That child is definitely not mine because you are the first person I have ever slept with."