» chapter 34 «

-

-

Evie walks beside Damon as they follow Stefan down the staircase of the Salvatore Boarding House.

"Isobel just showed up at their front doorstep," Stefan informs the twins on what had happened that morning at the Gilbert residence.

"What's she doing here?" The twins ask in sync.

Stefan shakes his head and sighs deeply. "I don't know. That's what I'm gonna go find out."

Katherine and Daniel walk up to the siblings, unfortunately joining their conversation.

"I don't think that you should tell her that we're here," Katherine speaks up.

Stefan looked annoyed as he asked, "What? Why?"

"It's better if she and John not know that we stayed in town after Katherine and I got out of the tomb," Daniel adds in.

Damon scoffed as he listened to the two unwanted vampires talk. "You're the one in cahoots with them. You made a deal with John that almost got me killed."

Daniel frowns. "We did what we had to get out of the tomb. Now we're reconsidering our alliance."

Katherine and Daniel turn around, but Stefan interrupts them. "What do you know?"

Katherine smirks. "I know that I want Klaus dead, which puts me squarely on team you. Besides, if you two ever need me to swap places with Elena again, the less people know that I'm here, the better. Think about it, Stefan. Come on. Be smart."

"Tell you what. Why don't you, uh...Call Alaric and let him know that his wife just showed up on his girlfriend's doorstep," Stefan offers before turning and leaving with Evie.

-

Caroline leaves her house and goes to her car. She's on the phone with Evie and Stefan talking about Matt.

"I can't find him anywhere. He's not at home. He's not answering his phone," She tells them.

Stefan sighs, "How could you let him go?"

"My mom walked in. He took off. I didn't know what to do," Caroline answered.

Evie rolled her eyes, annoyed at the situation. "Did your mom hear anything?"

"No. She just thinks we're fighting but he knows about me, and he's freaking out about Vicki."

Stefan noticed his sister's annoyance and tried to end the conversation quickly. "All right. Listen. You have to find him. You have to calm him down. Compel him if you have to. Is he still on the vervain?"