Then and Now

We busted through the doors of the old, white abandoned house. Once we were in, we split up into pairs to go clear the place.

Tyresse and Maggie

Rosita and Abraham

Michonne and Carl

Me and Zoey

Beth and Eugene stood guard at the cars, making sure no unwanted trespassers came along. Zoey and I departed from the group and up the stairs. She searched one bedroom and I; the other. There were a few coats in the closet, but I didn't grab them considering winter was over- it's now spring.

April 12

Yeah, it's been five months since Washington- I kept track. The winter was rough- sleeping in trees, eating frozen plants, nearly dying. The plus was that during the winter the walkers were less active.

Abraham is our new leader considering we've never came across Rick, Daryl, or Glenn again. It was hard- not seeing Daryl for so long. Not knowing whether or not he was alive. I try not to think about it much anymore. Carl and Maggie are just as upset as I am about it. I mean, Rick is Carl's dad and Glenn is Maggie's husband.

Once I finished clearing out the room I met back up with Zoey. We walked down the stairs and into the living room with everyone else. We were all tired, starving, depressed. We were strong though. We had plans, we stuck to them. We protected each other, cared for each other. We were a family. Even if we were potentially broken and beaten down. That's life.

Zoey had gone into the kitchen about five or so minutes ago, and when she came back everyone sort of looked down at her sadly. She smiled widely as she began to open up a can of dog food. Once Abraham noticed, he snatched it out of her hands and chucked it across the room. Zoe looked down, ashamed. "Walkers." Eugene muttered, and we knew it was time to go. We gathered our stuff and headed out through the back doors, making our way to the cars. I through my stuff in the trunk and slid into my seat next to Carl, Zoey settling in beside me. Abraham in the drivers seat, Rosita in the passenger, and me, Carl, and Zoey in the back. Beth, Tyresse, Eugene, and Michonne were in the other car. Carl smiled and pecked my overly chapped lips. It was hard- I know, but we still managed to keep our relationship going. I snuggled into his chest as the car began to move. Shortly after, my eyes grew heavy, and I found my self drifting into a deep sleep.

•••dream•••

"Look at that one." Daryl whispered to me, pointing at the deer. I raised the crossbow he had let me borrow, and positioned it in alignment to the deer's head. I said a quick prayer, shutting my eyes and pulling the trigger. I opened them to find the arrow lodged directly into the deer's cranium. "You're a natural!" He praised me, spinning me around like daddy's do with their little girls. We began walking back to the others when, suddenly, a gunshot went off and Daryl dropped to the ground- dead.

•••dream over•••

I woke up as soon as his body hit the ground. I've had the 'dream' all winter, but it just doesn't make since? Daryl's gone so how could it possibly come true? "Are you all right?" Carl asked groggily, rubbing his eyes. "Y-yeah. Just a bad dream. Don't worry about it." I faked a smile and pecked his cheek. He frowned at my actions and rolled his eyes. I chuckled to myself, trying not to wake up Zoe or Rosita. He leaned in, his lips centimeters from mine. His hot breath made my bottom lip quiver. He slowly kissed me, nibbling on my bottom lip in the process. It had been so long since we made out, both of us could hardly control our actions. His arms snaked around my waist while I twisted the ends of his hair around my fingertips. His lips traveled down my neck, sucking gently on the tender skin. I felt a tap on my shoulder, and I spun around immediately. Zoe scanned my face, then my neck. She gasped and covered her mouth, laughing uncontrollably. I gave her a puzzled look and turned towards Carl. Embarrassment spread quickly across his face, and he face palmed himself. I peered into the rearview mirror discretely, and there it was- a hickey. Thanks Carl, thanks.

"I have to use the bathroom." I told Abraham once we stopped at a gas station. "Make it quick." I thanked him briefly and sprinted into the woods. Once I found a tree far enough away, I pulled down my pants and did my business. When I was done, I began walking back to the others. Not even two minutes into my walk I noticed something hidden under some leaves. I uncovered it and picked up the unknown item. I inspected it closely and froze when I had recognized what it was. An arrow with the initials 'D.D' carved into it.

Daryl's arrow.