two; cupboards

(awsten's pov)

i stepped into the art classroom. "good afternoon mrs. bagwell!" i spoke happily. everyday after school, aside from tuesdays and thursdays since there was art club which i didn't join because i don't like human interaction, i would come into the art classroom and draw or do homework that needed to get done. but i mostly just draw.

i took a seat at one of the desks and began doodling in my little drawing notebook i carried with me everywhere. there were small flowers and random patterns drawn here and there. some pages had water colors on them. some were just regular paints. some colored pencils. some just regular pencils. but never crayons. i don't like the roughness of them. the coloring is always uneven. it never looks pretty. and i was always about drawing beautiful flowers. crayons couldn't draw flowers and make them as beautiful.

"excuse me mrs. bagwell?" i asked, breaking the silence for we were the only two in the room. "yes awsten?" she asked with a smile. mrs bagwell was always the nicest to me. she thought i was really sweet and a good kid, which i was. people just didn't like me.

"would it be okay if i were to use some of your water colors?" i asked politely. "of course! they are in the third cupboard right there," she pointed to which cupboard i should look in, "i'm just busy looking for my daughter. i'm not sure where she is right now. i walked out of the room and she just disappeared. she also won't answer her texts. i'm not super worried though because she loves to play tricks on me and hide." i nodded in understanding. i did notice that her daughter wasn't here.

mrs bagwell always talked about her daughter, y/n. i wouldn't admit it but i definitely have a crush on her. i even thought about telling mrs bagwell about my feelings for her daughter, but i decided against it.

"well, if i find her i'll tell you." i smiled at her. "thank you awsten." she replied, sitting back in her chair to grade the art projects by her students.

i walked over to the cupboards to get the water colors. i opened the correct cupboard but not to find water colors. instead i found mrs. bagwell's daughter.

"uh, what are you doing in here y/n?" i asked her. she was squished into the cupboard that usually held the water colors. she giggled quietly. god, that was cute.

"shh, i'm hiding." she tried to contain her laughter, which she barely managed to do. i sighed, a smile on my face.

"but i promised your mother i would tell her if i find you." i whined. she groaned silently. "fiiiine." she said.

"wait but how did you fit in there?" i asked. "i'm not that big, aws. i'm only 5 foot." she stated matter-of-factly. a light pink tainted my cheeks when she called me aws.

"uh, mrs bagwell, i think i found your daughter." i told her. she responded, "really? where?" i pointed to the open cupboard in front of me. mrs. bagwell rushed over to me.

she groaned. "y/n get down from there!" y/n giggled and got out, standing on the counter. she grabbed my hand to help her down, making the blush on my cheeks significantly darker. mrs bagwell didn't notice but y/n sure did.

mrs bagwell went back to her seat, now knowing where her daughter is. i went back to my notebook and continued to draw, forgetting about the water colors, except y/n sat next to me. she leaned her head on my shoulder.

"ooo whatcha drawing?" she asked. i thought for a moment. "a little girl with a flower crown." y/n smiled. "hey you wanna go on a date?" she asked me. i blushed a deep shade of red and looked at her with wide eyes. i didn't even notice mrs bagwell staring at me, waiting for an answer.

"c'mon aws, i know you have a crush on meeee." y/n giggled. i laughed along with her. "yes i would love to." i responded. she threw her hands up in victory while mrs bagwell went back to doing teacher stuff.

i checked the time to see it's been an hour since school got out. "i gotta go." y/n responded, "cool i'll walk with you." we both said goodbye to mrs bagwell and left.

"why the cupboard?" i asked while we were walking. she looked at me with a confused face. "why did you hide in the cupboard?" i asked again. she laughed. "oh, it seemed like a good place to hide, and it was." i laughed too.

eventually, we arrived at my house. y/n's house wasn't that far from mine and she assured me that she could walk alone, which i approved of hesitantly.

"so, are we boyfriend and girlfriend now." y/n asked me nonchalantly. i would love to know where she gets all of her confidence from because damn. "i don't know." i answered honestly. unexpectedly, she leaned up on her toes and kissed me. i was taken aback by her actions but started kissing back. when she pulled away she asked, "how about now?" i smiled.

"definitely."