Jongyu - Unspoken

In which Jonghyun is the new transfer student and Jinki is quietly observant.

Wordcount: 6,2K

 It had to be the brown dress shoes and the tightly plaid trousers, that fit his legs so precisely, which made his new classmates look twice; or maybe it was the coat over blazer look with the red tie peeking out from the jacket up to his neck, where it was tied neatly. Personally, Jonghyun was sure it was the original 1920's alloy glasses of a thin round frame that earned him the glances; on second thought, it was probably the complete set that made him stand out on his very first day of school. On top of being the new student at the front of the classroom with all eyes on him, he achieved a different sort of look from them. He caught a girl rolling her eyes and a boy whispering to his friend whose reaction was a secretive grin and a muted chuckle. Jonghyun had to admit that it was slightly alienating to stand in front of so many looks of judgement, disinterest, even disgust. However, at the very back of the classroom, Jonghyun found two orbs of interest. They looked curious and Jonghyun found it calming to keep his focus there.

"Take a seat down at the back. There are a few empty ones," his teacher told him with a welcoming smile. Her eyes showed an interest that made Jonghyun sure this class was taught with a strong passion for the subject. He sat down at the back, behind a girl with short black hair. The boy with the curious eyes sat at the next table alone. Jonghyun would have sat down right beside him but had found the empty table next to his much less of a confrontation on his very first day.

Jonghyun had to admit that he felt nervous about the new beginning. The strange looks that his presumably outdated style had gotten him did not make it any better. He told himself from his place at the back that it could have gone worse. There was still the boy with the big, kind eyes who was sitting at the next table all alone like Jonghyun did at his own. He wondered if the boy's friends were sick or absent for some other reason. Oh, how he wondered about that boy throughout the otherwise interesting class. The only real information Jonghyun got out of that class was that the boy's name was Lee Jinki and that was much more important to Jonghyun at this moment than anything about the history of Korea. He had already gone through all of this at his last school anyways.

No one came up to Jonghyun that day and he was quite okay staying by himself. Being alone was one of Jonghyun's many specialities and something he enjoyed very much. From the corner of the canteen, he achieved himself a good overview of the rest of the room. Only very few dared to go into the canteen without any table companion. Jonghyun could count to three, none of which were Jinki, who seemed to be spending his break elsewhere.

The first thing that Jonghyun heard Jinki say was "On Mondays Simon plays basketball at 4:30 pm." The English teacher, who was a British man, complimented Jinki on his pronunciation. Jonghyun had stared at Jinki's mouth as a smooth and deep sounds escaped it. He was impressed with the pillowy tone that Jinki spoke in.

At 4:30 pm Jonghyun was not playing basketball but arriving home from a long, exhausting day. He threw his bag up against his desk and dove face first into his bed, only to fall asleep in a matter of minutes, before he would have to get up again to do the day's homework.

Jonghyun's second day was much like his first. He spent most of it alone with his mouth shut as he observed his new schoolmates. He wanted to spot all the details before they would come in handy, like the hierarchy, the dynamics and, of course, where the nearest exits were for any unwanted collision with the top dogs. He would spend class with as much focus on his teacher as his mind could muster. Only a few times would he glance over at Jinki, who would either be scribbling notes into his notebook that looked like an organised mess from where Jonghyun was sitting, or he would be looking up at the teacher and nodding very subtly at every point made.