◽️23◽️

I shoved the door open, earning a rather loud clatter from inside the dark Auditorium. Everything inside stank profusely of a stench I couldn't place. I made a face, but the reactions of the two people near me showed that it wasn't my imagination.

"What is that?" Nashita placed her sleeves over her nose, coughing for a few moments in the dim light.

"That's gasoline, like, straight gasoline." Rowdy rumbled, sticking his hands into the pockets of his jeans and looking around. After a period of silence, he pulled one hand out, and pointed to the farthest side of the Auditorium. The silhouette of several plastic jerry cans stacked on the side of the wall. A concerning question stuck with me; did someone already empty them? That question would probably decide what went down tonight. I went to approach the wall, but a voice stopped me.

"What are you guys doing?" The person on the stage asked, their tired eyes watching all of our movements. "You aren't supposed to be in here." They shook, standing with a makeshift cane made of a prop for the witch from Into the Woods on the stage. Taylor looked worse for wear. The black, wavy makeup they applied around their eyes to symbolize their character's demonic nature ran in rivers, suggesting crying. They waivered as if they might collapse onto the floor at the slightest push. They must've been in pain, too, considering they had to go all this time standing on their cheap prosthetic without sitting down. "Go back outside, please." The faux horns on their headband slouched to one side, and their cape didn't look as magnificent as it usually did; it dripped with a liquid that I couldn't see in the dim light. I stared at a rugged, broken down version of the person I once knew. I didn't know them anymore.

"We're not leaving, Taylor." Before I could say the next sentence in my head, forgetting Leighton's words of them not having lied about Melissa, someone else from behind the stage interrupted me.

"Aw, it's okay, sweetheart! They would've made their way here eventually. But honestly, I expected Vanguard to make it first." Heels clicked, and the muffled voice grew louder. The curtains parted open, only enough for a person to squeeze through. "Just shows why you should research the psychology of people. I would have never known that one of the most militaristic-acting groups was filled with cowards. They didn't even try to save Tariq." The girl I only saw once before, as she usually chose to hide behind Taylor so that she could pull the strings that she wanted, smiled at me; her bright red lips pulled into an all-knowing smile that burned my skin and made me feel the wrath of everything I've ever done.

"Shut up! I don't want to hear my brother's name in your filthy mouth!" Nashita shrieked.

"Nashita." Abigail stepped next to Taylor and her smile never left. "You're one of the most interesting. You play hero just as your brother does, but he never let you. You're so carefree and yet headstrong. Tell me, how does it feel to lose someone that close to you, now that you're allowed to stand for your own expeditions? I'd love to hear what your heart and mind say." Her tone never wavered, indicating that she seriously wanted to know.

Nashita crinkled up her nose in the most vicious scowl I ever saw her wear. The woman started forward, but Rowdy's strong hand stopped her from going any farther. She let out a frustrated scream as salty, fiercely angry tears returned to her eyes.

Abigail's smile faltered. She put her hands on her hips, pulling her eyebrows together in defiance. "I guess I'm not getting an answer to that." She looked annoyed at our co-operation. Her eyes swept Rowdy and a grimace edged her lips.

"That was something I hadn't anticipated, actually." Abigail's voice sounded against the gym walls. "The highly respected Baksh family daughter fraternizing with the lowly son of the Washingtons." The smile returned, this time with an accusing glare to accompany the joy. "Ooo, what will Mr. Salim Baksh say? That CEO won't be happy when he hears his only daughter fell for..." She stared Rowdy directly in the eyes as she trailed off. "that. Especially when his only son is no more."