Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

I didn't try the last one. I was still terrified I'd drain my reserves, but we did discover that I could enhance my animal forms with my magic, making the animal attack more brutal with ice-cold swipes of my paws. Bella also joined us, after she had her dress fitting. Her incantations and creatures she summoned were powerful, growing with her own magical strength. After our training session, we went inside and separated. I was confused. Peter pulled me into his quarters, a smile on his face. "Do I need to kick your ass, too?" I grumbled.

"No, Lord Edward," he chuckled. "Human males celebrate with a bachelor party, correct? Consider tonight your bachelor party."

"I'm not going to some strip joint," I snorted, crossing my arms over my chest. "And let me guess ... Emmett's idea?"

"You know him well," Peter said. "Mistress Alice is responsible for Lady Bella's bachelorette party."

"She's not comfortable with ..." I trailed off.

"It's going to be a party here at the house, giving her a lingerie shower," Peter smirked. "So, in reality, it's a party for you, too."

"Oh. Really?" I breathed. Peter grinned wickedly and nodded slowly. "Sweet! What are we doing?"

"A baseball game," Peter replied, tossing me a jersey. "A private skybox to see the Mariners play against the Diamondbacks." I snorted, looking at my navy jersey. "But, we're going out to eat first at a local pub. Beer, wings, burgers, nachos ... everything a bachelor party needs."

"Minus the naked girls," Emmett laughed, walking in, wearing a pair of jeans and a backwards baseball cap. "I can still find a strip joint."

"No," I snickered, shrinking back to my human form. I found a pair of jeans and ducked into the bathroom, changing into the jersey. I caught a hat from Peter, tugging it on my head. We met in the foyer before heading into one of the SUVs. All of the men in the castle were going with us, leaving me on edge. "Shouldn't someone stay back? I mean ..."

"There's a lot of firepower in that castle, Lord Edward," Garrett said, squeezing my shoulder. "Besides, it's hidden from the darkness. The only way people would know that it's there is if they'd been invited, like Carmen did with you and your mate. But, you could add an additional layer of protection."

I looked at the gate. I rolled down the window and felt my power surge. Bound by my powers, I added an ice lattice, crackling with wards to protect my mate, hugging the castle. It made the castle sparkle under the setting sun. "Let's go," I said. My cell phone chirped. I took it out.

Thanks, baby. I feel safer already ~ B

Anything for you, sih'rena. Love you and have fun ~ E

You, too. I love you more ... only two more days and we're bonded for life ~ B

Life isn't long enough. How about forever? ~ E

It's a date, my only love ~ B

"Okay, enough of that," Emmett laughed. "Bachelor party. No women, punk!" He held out his hand. "Gimme the phone." I shook my head, putting it in my pocket, holding my hands up.

Dinner, the game and the time at the bar after the game was a lot of fun. It was the most relaxed I'd been in my entire life. I was happy. I had friends who were there for me and a woman who loved me, unconditionally. I felt like I was a part of something bigger, like I belonged and was valued for who I was, and what I did. I was a part of a family.

It made me wonder about my adoptive parents. Did they miss me? Did they miss Alice? What was their endgame? Were they really involved with the dark creatures?